• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Opening of the 3D Work Shop

I guess I don't get a spot in here...thats OK...been an outcast most my life 😁
😁

I guess I don't get a spot in here...thats OK...been an outcast most my life 😁
😁

Mo if you know anything about the way I run this website it's I do everything half assed. Moving you now sir. :vgood:

Well I don't see any goats or chickens roaming around yet...so I'd say you're doing a pretty good job!

Also thanks for the move!

Anything you want to share in this let me know. I think we need some other forums related to this.
Printers
Scanners is that a thing yet?
Cad software?
supplies?

I'd really like to know who all is into 3d printing on this forum. I know right now it's Jknaus and myself. But I have seen other members mention they have 3d printers while looking around the topics on this forum.

As far as sub forum for this topic, I'd would add 3d printers/Setup/Brands
Supplies
CAD/3d software
3d files
3d scanners(they are expensive right now..but will definitely be the next thing)
I likr sharks idea of the DIY and whatcha printing.

Another thing that I have found with printing is the upkeep..I would describe it as high maintenance. That is if you want your prints to come out as good as possible. So maybe a maintenance topic??

That's about all I can think of right now on different topics.

Another thing that I have found with printing is the upkeep..I would describe it as high maintenance. That is if you want your prints to come out as good as possible. So maybe a maintenance topic??
Wouldn't that fall under tips?

Reactions: Mo_
Will work on this, thanks for the feed back Mo.

Might take a while for the 3D Community to grow here, one thing I've noticed is some of our members don't really venture out of the forums they are familiar with.

Scanners are available but a bit pricy. You can scan with your camera or phone camera, its called photogrammetry and there are plenty of videos on you tube explaining it.
James

Don't have a printer yet but it is a pipe dream someday (too many other irons in the fire at the moment). All I have are a few 3D printed figures.

I would be interested in learning about everything that has been mentioned though!

Don't have a printer yet but it is a pipe dream someday (too many other irons in the fire at the moment). All I have are a few 3D printed figures.

I would be interested in learning about everything that has been mentioned though!
Think about how many floats you could design! :vgood:

I have held off for years waiting on the printer technology to get to the detail level I wanted. With the 8k printers it is finally at that point and the prices are not at the "break the bank" level. It will still be some time before I invest in one, but it is getting close. Maybe later this year or next.

I believe these printers will be like tv's. When they first came out the resolution was pretty low..now we have 4ks and 8ks..I'm sure 16k is a possibility. Also there is the DLP option as well.. some say it's better than the 8k.. I opted not to go that route as that technology is fairly new.

Might take a while for the 3D Community to grow here, one thing I've noticed is some of our members don't really venture out of the forums they are familiar with.

If we post all the new 3D releases here, they will come. The number of new products released as 3D prints instead of cast resin is growing! While they may not partake in printing, their market spending will drive companies to acquire better printers thereby increasing demand for better printers, software, consumables, et cetera.

I remember at Games Workshop Games Day in 2013 here in Memphis, they had some painted prototype figures that were 3D printed. At that time they were early high tech resin which meant that they had been printed on an EXPENSIVE resin printer. If you looked reasonably close you could see the stepping in the print. It looked good for then, but would not hold a candle to the stuff we now have.
Printed figure.jpg

I was lucky to even have this photo of the figures. My memory card crapped after the first 10 photos.

Few weeks ago I picked up a scanner although I have not yet tried it. Maybe this weekend if I am lucky. You can see what it is here:

I guess that is the last big ticket item I will be getting for the foreseeable future as I am working towards retiring by the end of the year. Meanwhile lots of printing happening and pics sometime soon.
James

Few weeks ago I picked up a scanner although I have not yet tried it. Maybe this weekend if I am lucky. You can see what it is here:

I guess that is the last big ticket item I will be getting for the foreseeable future as I am working towards retiring by the end of the year. Meanwhile lots of printing happening and pics sometime soon.
James
I get it James. I see the big R coming in the next few years as well. That is the main reason I am getting the kits I want now. Lucky for me I have a job, skills, and health that I can work as long as I feel up to it, but am getting more and more where I am wanting to spend time doing what I want to do instead of days at work. With some luck when that time comes I will be able to move back to Tulsa and still do a little bit of side work to add some $$. Time will tell.

Back