• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Oil Paints

paddy

Hi
I made a start on my Wnw albatross D.Va this week for the Swanny comp but as usual i am stuck waiting for the artist oils to dry for the wood grain. does anyone have a better way of doing this without oil paints ???
I have tried all the tricks like leaving the paint on some absorbent paper for 10 mins and so on but it still takes 5-10 days for a very thin coat to dry ??

any thoughts

Have you tried using a hair dryer yet? I like to use oil paints when I weather my models and using a hair dryer to blow warm air on the oil paints makes a huge difference in how fast they dry. It only takes 24 hours for the oil paint to fully dry if you use the hair dryer method.
Even without using a hair dryer oil paints should dry after a couple days, maybe its the type of thinner you used that is keeping them from drying. I use Turpenoid oderless thinner and have had good results using this product.

Matrixone

I bought a crock pot. Plastics require a lot more care, but put on cardboard to keep off the pot and leaving lid off and put onn low will significantly cut dry time. I havent tried a hair dryer, but I imagine it should be the same.
James

I will try a hair dryer :)......I dont use thinners i just use straight from the tube, its already to wet really
Cheers :)

I bought a crock pot. Plastics require a lot more care, but put on cardboard to keep off the pot and leaving lid off and put onn low will significantly cut dry time. I havent tried a hair dryer, but I imagine it should be the same.
James
Brilliant idea !!
I wonder how much trouble I'd get in if I tried that :hmmm

James
Brilliant idea !!
I wonder how much trouble I'd get in if I tried that :hmmm

A lot :laugh: I went out and bought a small one just for me. $25.00 I think, but I have done 5 figures in it and a couple of props and a couple of cockpits. Works great.
James

I have a small crock pot and have used it to dry oils on resin figures. It worked well, put in after a night
of painting and was dry in the morning. Haven't tried it with plastic though.

I mix a bit of mineral spirits in my oils, thinning may help the oils dry faaster.

I've also heard this stuff can help speed up drying, but I haven't tried it...

http://www.dickblick.com/products/dorlands-wax-medium/

HTH,
Tom

Why, drying of course , HAHAHA.

Back on the drying process, I have been told that a food dehydrator would speed up the paint curing process . It would stand to reason it should speed up the oils also.

By the way , I have not tried this but the info is from a reputable source.

The Turpenoid works pretty quickly for me but so does lighter fluid ( smells though ). :(

Hope that helps . Cheers, Christian B)

I mentioned to the wife about another use for the crock pot....She asked if
my cowboy hat will still fit with no scalp underneath. :blink

I just got banned from the kitchen.

Back