• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Oil paints over acrylics

The Zod

My weathering using pigments pretty much sucks. I am thinking of using the MIG oil based system.The 502 series.
I paint mostly with acrylics.Also,the gloss and flat coats I use are acrylic,. How safe is the oils to put on over acrylic paints?
What is best to thin the oils?

I really want to get my weathering better. The IPMS show is coming up. Sometimes,I wonder if I am not better off going
back to drybrushing. :S

My weathering using pigments pretty much sucks. I am thinking of using the MIG oil based system.The 502 series.
I paint mostly with acrylics.Also,the gloss and flat coats I use are acrylic,. How safe is the oils to put on over acrylic paints?

I really want to get my weathering better. The IPMS show is coming up. Sometimes,I wonder if I am not better off going
back to drybrushing. :S

Well the oil paint won't hurt the acrylic paint. Now the thinner you use might. If you are worried about the acrylic paint spray the model with future, but the mix I use doesn't hurt Tamiya paint. I thin my oil with mineral spirits. It's not sticky and it evaporates fast. Your pigment problems I can't address because I don use Mig I make my own. I guess I'm old skool. :rotf

Terry B)

I really want to get my weathering better.

Chad,MIG has it's own THINNER FOR WASHES to go with the 502 ABTEILUNG oils,but ofcourse you could use RECTIFIED TURPENTINE,I use the TALENS brand,but other RT's will just work as well.

Drybrushing might be 'old school' but you can get some really nice results with it.
Check out the lessons on drybrushing AND washes from our very own BOB LETTERMAN;https://www.modelersalliance.com/forum/weathering-olive-drab

If I got some more time on my hands,I might do a Step By Step on pigment weathering.[but it might take a while] :unsure:

Greetings,Ron.

Thanks Terry and Ron. Now that I am off for a couple days,I can finally look over the Bob Letterman article. :mpup

Back