• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Night fighters

You know, I just remembered that I might still have an old Airfix P-61 that I could possibly build for this. Hmmmm....:hmm:

Can I get warranty from you on the gauges in my 65 E-Type? Oh, wait, I sold that!

View attachment 128593
You had an E type John? They are going for a few pennies these days!

I love Jaguars. Hope to get a Series II XJS someday! Been watching them in the background and if I had an extra $7k right now there's one in Alberta I would buy.

Nice. I wonder how it compares with the old Monogram kit, which is very detailed? Gary S. XLV MMXXIV

Nice. I wonder how it compares with the old Monogram kit, which is very detailed? Gary S. XLV MMXXIV

Main wheels... Monogram on left.
1612296028645.png

Nose wheels... Monogram on right.
1612296049466.png

Here we see the Trumpeter main gear bay on top of the Monogram bay which is part of the upper wing structure.
1612296069452.png

The Trumpeter missile bay above slightly edges the much older Monogram bay.
1612296148355.png

The supersonic tanks are almost the same shape. The shackle locations do not match so I need to find out which is accurate. Trumpeter is on top of the Monogram part.
CTA2005.JPG

Monogram's cockpit at left looks better and has sidewalls! A kit from 1983 is 'trumping' the Trumpeter kit!
CTA2006.JPG

Trumpeter's deeper engine above is the obvious choice here.
CTA2007.JPG

The much better shaped Monogram intake trunk can be made to fit the Trumpeter kit but...
CTA2008.JPG

Lots of filling and sanding will happen as I try to square the shoulders of the trunk. Note that the part is only placed and came loose so it isn't as bad as it looks here.
CTA2009.JPG

Monograms 3 part seat isn't bad other than the molded on seat belts. I will add detail to the Trumpeter seat and see if it comes out better. Luckily, the Chinese kit comes with two seats so I will use one for the American kit. Here we see the sidewalls with the Monogram parts at top.
CTA2010.JPG

Instrument panels. It seems I will be making my own as I don't like either. Monogram is on the left. They both represent the tape instruments which is good for post 1972 but the one I want to build for my boy should have Round Eye instruments.
CTA2011.JPG

Ooooo... Years ago, I trained to be a 462X0, known as an aircraft munitions maintenance troop OR Fuzzle Mucker. We trained on the 106... 4 weenies and a genie!

The Monogram kit is a notoriously ill fitting turd that requires a pound of putty, a ton of patience, and an insane amount of enthusiasm to build. The Trumpeter kit, on the other hand, has a precise, no filler needed fit, an important, for me anyway, factor when choosing a kit for a GB.

PS: I'm not a fan of old Monogram kits in general. I feel that they get free passes for reasons other than any intrinsic values of the kits themselves.

I'll keep m old Monogram kit. Couldn't pass up the price, 5 bucks. Sometimes with a little perswading the part will eventually fit. Gary S. XLV MMXXIV

Got my Mossie... I'll probably begin tomorrow or Friday.

IMG_0619.jpg

I am excited....

Last edited by a moderator:
Still not clear on the time frame for this one. Is there any way we can post up the time frame in the campaign descriptions?

Back