• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

New Zealand quake- all ok?

chukw

News just coming in is sketchy at best- 7.2 in Christchurch at 4:33 am? Be safe, friends!

Rob? I know we have several other members there. News so far is no injuries but there is damage.

I think Rob is on North Island

It appears no fatalities but some large after shocks still . All are in our prayers and foremost in our thoughts .

Jenny :kiss:

Hi All

Yes, it has been an interesting time over the last day back home. For the most part, there have been very minimal injuries, the only 2 reported major injuries being a bloke getting hit by a chimney and is in the HDU (intensive care), and another bloke getting badly cut by broken glass. Considering, for an entire city, 2 injuries is amazing!

I have been in contact with a lot of people down there, and for the most part, in the subburbs (excluding New Brighton), things aren't as bad as they could be. There is mostly cosmetic damage. Most of the homes that were damaged badly have featured in the media, other than that, the majority is fine. Kaiapoi (about 10 km nth of Christchurch) was hit pretty hard also.

Both Christchurch and Kaiapoi's CBD's have had a real hammering. This is mainly the older buildings (80 years plus) that have been effected. In most cases, as a lot of these buildings have had the internals updated, it is only the facade that has fallen off, but leaving the internal structure intact. Other buildings with major structural damage are Churches and such like, that have been about for the last 100-150 years.

There has been a huge sense of community shown by all Cantabrians during one of the region's darkest hours. It has been truly amazing the stories of support and help that I've been told and heard in the media. Everything from a neighbor looking after children while people clean up their houses, to entire streets banding together just to make sure that everyone in their neighborhood had food, water and shelter (from the sounds of things, street wide bar-b-que's have been a common site).

I hope this helps give a better picture of what is happening.

Cheers

Rob

Rob, this question is in complete ignorance of things down there, but are earthquakes common there? I would suspect so being on the Pacific realm but I have no idea really.

Glad to hear all are pitching in and helping each other rather than taking to the streets and grabbing what they can.

Well.. I wouldn't say they are uncommon, but ones of this size are. But, in saying that, the last one a similar size hit Gisborne about 3 years ago, the Edgecombe quake in the late '80s, then the Murchison and Napier quake in the late '20s - early '30s before that.

Usually a quake might wake you in the night, or you will notice it as you are walking, but as for doing real damage, usually very unlikely.

I hope that makes sense.

Pufff :eek:hmy: , an earthquake in my town :hmmm , 70% destruction (ancient city), with thousands dead!. :X

Laurent ROLLERI wrote:
Pufff :eek:hmy: , an earthquake in my town :hmmm , 70% destruction (ancient city), with thousands dead!. :X

No argument there.. we really came off lightly compared to other city's around the world that have quakes. We, as a nation, consider ourselves very lucky. But, this is the biggest disaster to hit any of our major cities, so if this is as bad as it gets, we will all be quite happy with that :)

Im glad to hear everyone is ok.Quakes can be very scary. i was stationed in california during a few. Im glad your all OK

Back