• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

NAMESAKE ARMOR CAMPAIGN

I did. I only got through the first step. I wondered why no one had posted yet :doh:
1590195942121.png

Sounds good. Too bad I already started my three Abrams or I could've added them here. I started them about a week before Mike's but I didn't get ay kind of start up photo since I had forgotten this was proposed.

Uh, I may have started too, on the 19th of May.......so I'm good to go, right? Oh, do tell me I'm good to go:frantic:?

Here's what I have for a start photo, it's a screen grab of the resin parts from the Legend conversion set, with the Exif data from the photo showing the date.

003am74.jpg

So just to clarify..... the vehicle must be in US service, right?

I have a Sherman M50 in IDF service, would that qualify???

A couple of additional US AFV namesakes:
- M8 HMC named for General Winfield Scott.
- the Stryker family of vehicles (LAV III to some of us) named for WW2 and Vietnam MoH winners.

On the UK side:
- FV601 Armoured Car named for Salah ad-Din (Saladin), First Sultan of Egypt and Syria and founder of the Ayyubid Dynasty.
- Matilda I/II A11/12 depending upon the story you want to believe:
- random code name created by Vickers during design in 1935 (Matilda means "strength in battle" in Old German).​
- named after a cartoon duck of the era after a demo to Government officials because of its small size, shape and its less than elegant traversing of a simulated battlefield.​
- named after Empress Matilda, daughter of Henry I and grand-daughter of William the Conqueror, who nearly became Queen of England in the 12th Century.​
- Black Prince A43, prototype 17 pdr armed Churchill cancelled in favour of the Centurion, named for Edward, the Black Prince, oldest son of Edward III and father of Richard II. (I don't know of any kits or conversions for this variant.)

Rich

Never knew that about the KV series.... so, I'll not do the Bradley, I'll be doing this:

Stronk Tink.jpg

Start-up photos soon.

Ian.

Don't forget the Russian IS series of tanks.
The IS Tank was a series of heavy tanks developed as a successor to the KV-series by the Soviet Union during World War II. The IS acronym is the anglicized initialism of Joseph Stalin.

The IS-2
Iosif_Stalin_IS-2_Kyiv_1.jpg

The IS-3
Is-3_lesany.jpg

The IS-7
IS-7.jpg

Never knew that about the KV-1. I have a Bandai KV-1 that will work just fine in this campaign. When I finish the MIGHTY PHANTOM, I'll get started on it. Gary S. XXXXV XX XX

Stalin is an appropriate name for a tank, since the root of the word, stal, translates to the english steel. As most here probably already know, Stalin was a made up name, his actual last name was Jugashvili. He was Georgian and their names came from the Hebrew, in this case Yossef. I have always seen it in Russian as Iosef, in Cyrillic, Иосиф. That first letter is a long E and the o is an o, together you get the eeyo sound, more or less. Generally the long E in this case would be transliterated as I.

Sorry about all that, I took Russian in High School so I could swear at them when they invaded. In California Spanish would have been more useful as it turned out. Then I could talk to the people doing all the hard work!

Back