• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

NAA P51 D-5 NA-1/18 scale

Geo

Greetings All,

I thought I would begin to share my Mustang build with you.To dare, its been ongoing now for about the last seven(7) months. It involves the rebuild of the Blue Box/ Ultimate Soldier 1/18 P-51. After following a friends build dealing with the same topic, and given my love of the Mustang, I just had to do it.

I managed to find two of them on ebay at very cheap prices so i picked up both of them. One would be for rebuild, the other would be used as a parts bird. At first glance...its big. However, it isnt as big as you might think. There are currently kits available that are bigger, but for certain, its the biggest Mustang you might ever see save for RC offerings.

Keep in mind, this was not intended to be a scale model. Hence, when a deficiency is called out, it is not intended to devalue the toy. Deficiency call outs are simply differences between the part in extant and the drawings. The build began with disassembly; something it wasnt designed to have done to it since it is both screwed and glued together.Some of the tear down was quite challenging, but eventually it yielded.

Once this was done, individual parts could be compared/measured to see how far out they were.Surprisingly, given its purpose as more toy than anything else, it supplied a very good set of bones upon which to begin.
After comparisons were made to the drawings, deficiencies were identified and the fuselage was split into three (3) sections consisting of, nose (firewall forward),center section (firewall aft to STA 248) and the empennage. This was done for ease of handling and to make corrections to length and cross section.

This was the methodology that would be used throughout the build.This build is many months old and to reproduce text would take forever. In this light, Ill just post pics of whats been done thus far and leave it open to discussion and any questions that might pop up.

Hope you enjoy...

Prop/spinner rebuild...

Prop blade before and after. Only one blade was reshaped and then cast in resin by Jerry Rutman.

Corrected and rebuilt spinner back plate. Note that after reshaping, and vac forming,the original parts were left inside for rigidity. Also note the shape of the prop shank aperture. This was common to the Hamilton Standard cuffed prop. The aperture for the Aero Products prop is shaped differently.

THE NOSE/FIREWALL FORWARD:

This was a heavy lift beginning with repositioning the exhaust stack aperture and then reshaping the entire nose to fit the templates. The templates were made from the Neely drawings via direct transfer to litho plate and then cut out to fit the lines.

The forward most diameter at the spinner/ nose interface was spot on as well as the length of the nose section. STA's were located and templates put in place to check fit/shape. The worst point was STA .406. This is where all kit manufacturers get it wrong with the exception of Tamiya. This example was no exception.

Before and after comparison indicating the original exhaust stack aperture versus the repositioned aperture. Youll note on the original,the aperture is tilted up at the front. This shouldnt be. The aperture should run parallel with with the thrust line.

At this point, the exhast stack apertures have been replaced with .040" sheet stock. This thickness was used to allow for sanding to match the nose after reshaping. The carb air intake breathers have been removed for later replace with machined parts.

This is the original representation of the super charger intake (the smiley). Clearly it needs complete reshaping. It was first lined on the inside with .020 sheet stock and then filed to finished shape on the inside only.The outside would have to be blended with the new nose contour.

Next comes the blank for the super charger intake tunnel. Fashioned from balsa sheet, it is vacformed top and bottom and then the two halves were joined to form the tunnel.

The nose is next reshaped with fine Miliput (white).Believe me when I say, it took a very long time to not only finish, but to get it the right shape. The nose of the Mustang is remarkably veiled in its true shape. Looking at it from the side, you would never know the bulges on top of the forward cowling were there. The upper forward cowl on the Spitfire is much the same in that the bulges are needed to clear the Merlin rocker covers.

Note: The term Merlin was used when referring to British built engines. In the states (Packard built)it was referred to as the Packard V-1650.

After much sanding, priming, sanding, re-priming.....heres where we end up

Once the reshaping is complete; surface details can be added. dezus fasteners used on the cowling scale to .047" diameter. Locations are first marked out along the newly scribed panel splits, penetrations are then drilled with the penetrations being chamfered afterwards.

Ill end it here for now. Next post(s) will cover the empennage, windscreen,and canopy rework.

Hope you enjoy and that everyone is well.

Best

Geoff

This is more than modelling, this is model engineering. Will be watching this one closely.

Ian

Next comes the blank for the super charger intake tunnel. Fashioned from balsa sheet, it is vacformed top and bottom and then the two halves were joined to form the tunnel.

Well Geo, I am going to borrow that technique for my much smaller 1/32nd scale Ki-84's intake!

Regards,

Back