• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

My Theme Builds...

Hippy Ed

Here we go folks, Let's see if I got this figgered out... :hmmm
My theme builds are the aircraft that family members have flown, and/ or worked on during their career. I have several Ancestors/family members that were in the US Navy, Some, USAAF,and later US Air Farce. Some have interesting stories behind them.
Well, to start with, My uncle Charles David Schoonover (Chuck) was a Naval Aviator lost during a Night trap aboard the USS Ranger 16 JAN 1966 off the coast of VIetnam flying the RA-5C Vigilante BuNo: 149312 AC 901. Callsign: Postdate 901
He entered the USNA in 1950 and graduated in JUNE 1954 went on to Pensacola for Flight Training. Stayed on as an Instructor before going to Ordnance School in 1957 and off to his first Duty station at NAAS Cecil Field, Jacksonville,FL assigned to VF-11 "World Famous" Red Rippers squadron flying the F2H3/4 Banshees off the USS ESSEX(CVA-9) during 1958 receiving his "Baptism of Fire" during the Lebanon Crisis. Once settled down, the Carrier moved to the Formosa Straits in a "Show of Force" when Taiwan & China were chest beating one another.
Chuck entered the A3D RAG Squadron VAH-3 Flying the Whales in JAN/FEB 1959 and quickly moved on to VAH-5 "Savage Sons of Sanford" assigned to USS Forrestal (CVA-59) from Mar 1959 to June 1961 where he flew the "Slot position" of a 4-plane diamond formation in the Paris Airshow. He went back to VAH-3 to be an Instructor & LSO bringing the A3J-1/A-5A Vigilante into the Fleet before being assigned to Naval Test Plot School in OCT 1962 CLass #34 at Pax River,MD Graduating in JUNE 1963. Stayed on as a Test pilot & was the Project Pilot on the A6A/EA-6A airframes until recalled to the Fleet in April 1965 as a Vigilante Pilot flying the RA-5C with RVAH-9 "Hoot Owls" and was lost at sea.
I plan to build each aircraft he had flown during his career.
Here we have the 1/72 Tamiya F4D-1 Skyray which will be done up in TPS markings. I am awaiting the decals at this time.
f4d-1_zps2a890c18.jpg

pit1_zpsb7c792bc.jpg

pit2_zps3011ea31.jpg
pit3_zps68b7b0ad.jpg

Canopy installed & awaiting her turn in the paint shop...
F4D-can1_zpsc49723ac.jpg

F4D-Can2_zpsd8353d5e.jpg

F4D-Can3_zps33741ee6.jpg

F4D-Can4_zps5f50d2b0.jpg

F4D-Belly_zps8a0c3869.jpg

All this is being Supervised by Capt. Psycho :captain
f4d_zpsfad6233e.jpg

Thanks for looking. Any advice, comments will be appreciated...
More pics to come. I also have the F2h-3/4 to add to this thread.

Somewhat out of my realm but would be happy to follow a thread on the Skyray

To uncle Charles :drinks Cheers, Christian B)

To uncle Charles :drinks Cheers, Christian B)

Here here... :drinks

OK Eddy, we gotta work on your camera skills. What kind of camera are you using? Got a couple of good shots in there, the 'ray is looking good. :pilot

Thanks for the comments. I use my cell phone mostly & I have a digital camera which I use occasionally. It's not the cameras, It is me. I have the shakes, sometimes it's bad but, for the most part I can control it. a result of health problems from 2009

:popcorn :drinks I wanna see more! :eek:ldguy
Hold yer horses thar Rhino! Work will commence on the Skyray when I get some warmer weather & can paint it. Right now my spray booth is in the garage & our temps have been in the low 50s during the day.
In the meantime, I just got the decals for the "Navy Test Pilot School" and it calls for an all white upper surface instead of Gull gray :huh:

This is theme build #2 Also in the works and now awaiting paint :D
f2h_zpsd4361f3d.jpg
The Academy 1/72 F2H-3/4 in VF-11 Livery ca. 1958
Uncle Chuck flew with them -2nd from left, Front row
fighter-squadron-11-red-rippers-aboard-uss-essex-cv-9-during-1958_zps40c76738.jpg

F2Can1_zpsbf22350f.jpg

F2Can2_zps70149820.jpg

F2Can3_zpscff20b17.jpg

F2Hbelly_zpsa2b0f97d.jpg

F2A_zpsc46e4975.jpg

This one was started about 4 yrs ago and I'm sorry, I don't have any cockpit pics to share :facepalm

:popcorn :drinks I wanna see more! :eek:ldguy
Hold yer horses thar Rhino! Work will commence on the Skyray when I get some warmer weather & can paint it. Right now my spray booth is in the garage & our temps have been in the low 50s during the day.
In the meantime, I just got the decals for the "Navy Test Pilot School" and it calls for an all white upper surface instead of Gull gray :huh:

I lost my internet on Wed & just got it back on this afternoon! So, I did some research and I'm gonna go with the GullGray over White scheme since that seems to be consistent with 1963. Although, after 1965 seems most of the TPS aircraft went White.

Ok fellas, I just got a package in today's mail from an old friend...

he769861.jpg

hbcf386b.jpg

h8ff1f8f.jpg

replacing this one

h458901a.jpg

h08b5d8e.jpg

To steady this...

h9071d33.jpg

Thanks old friend! Dunno if ya want me broadcasting your generousity or not so, I leave it up to you!! Many thanks!! :yipee (y)

Weren't nothing Ed, my pleasure, you can tell by the dust on it how often it's been used lately. I got one my Dad had that mounts to the side of a table but i've been using the camera on my phone more lately anyway.

Hope you get a lot of mileage out of it. :popcorn

Weren't nothing Ed, my pleasure, you can tell by the dust on it how often it's been used lately. I got one my Dad had that mounts to the side of a table but i've been using the camera on my phone more lately anyway.

Hope you get a lot of mileage out of it. :popcorn

Thanks Bob, It will definately get used :good: I just need ta git useta using it first!! (y) This is far betta than da one I was usin'!

One other thing is those older cameras tend to need a LOT of light. Using he flash even if you think you have enough light can make a big difference. I usually take several shots of a particular scene just to make sure I get a good sharp pic. If you get junk photos, you can always delete them. That is the beauty of digital photos. :D

One other thing is those older cameras tend to need a LOT of light. Using he flash even if you think you have enough light can make a big difference. I usually take several shots of a particular scene just to make sure I get a good sharp pic. If you get junk photos, you can always delete them. That is the beauty of digital photos. :D

Roger that!! It does take practice that's for sure. :D

Back