• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

My other WIP

moon puppy

Administrator
Staff member
Ever since we moved into this house about 5 years ago we talked about doing this. Well we're doing it now.

My new best friend is building this on to our house, my new best friend, Sydney, my Contractor... :blink He's very good at making upgrade suggestions to Cindy, then she informs me of what they decided and I change the budget and call the bank...

roomwip3_20100704_1451531642.jpg

Framed up

roomwip2_20100704_1117230791.jpg

I don't care what they say, it's unnerving to come home from work and find this done to your roof. Even if you are paying the guy to do it!

roomwip1_20100704_1382056340.jpg

"Put a bar along that wall, and a neon sign to point the way to the ..."

roomwip4_20100704_2088025305.jpg

And this is what it looks like today, the deck will be about 15 more feet out from the double doors. Of course the deck will be enjoyed more by those two than the two who are paying for it.

moon puppy wrote:
He's very good at making upgrade suggestions to Cindy, then she informs me of what they decided and I change the budget and call the bank...

That's one of our specialties, get in good with the wife, discuss additional options to the original plans with her and leave for the day. We have mouths to feed too you know.

:pp :whistle:

For what it's worth in that one shot from the inside, the framing looks nice and tight and those windows look plumb and square... from here at least. I've seen much worse in my day.

It's amazing for me to see the roof framing, obviously y'all don't have much to worry about with snow loads and all, those look like 2x6's or 2x8's at the most! I'm not crazy about the way the plywood is installed on the floor but it's probably a localized code thing and is just one of those things that are different up her. We can't line up the seams like that, they are always staggered to middle of the next sheet up here.

Enjoy it man, it's only money and you can't take it with you. Next year at this time you'll forget all about the current inconveniences.

:D

The floor, well that ply wood is actually attached to the old deck. I kid not...When we built the deck on 5 years ago we told the contrator to build the deck as if it's the subfloor of a new room. Dude, I could drive my truck on it. He used 6X6 pilings and doubled the joist. The inspector checked out under the deck before we got going and gave his blessing. Said that floor was likely more stable than the floor in the rest of the house. I did get a building permit and the County is inspecting all the way so I'm very comfortable with the work.

I've been watching a lot of Holmes on Homes lately, I love that guy, I may even get me some coveralls like him...

My Contractor is doing a good job, I talked to the County guy the other day and he told me he's actually has some overkill in a lot of the work. I also know his Daddy....it's a Southern thing...

Snow...load...drawing a blank...

But about the roof, the house was build back in 1967 before there was a mandate to have all new homes inspected. The house is sound but dude, you'd crap if you saw some of the things they did because there was no code at the time. My Fuse box is in the bedroom closet and I have to remove a shelf to open it. Ma-in-law (who's right next door) fuse box is in the kitchen cabinet. No seriously...

Holmes on homes is the man!

Well I should hope you got a permit! :pp

Yeah snow load, much like a frost line, is something I'm sure y'all don't have to consider much down there but seriously, his work looks good from here.

(y)

Oooooh look at all those new naughty corners , room for a couple of modelling mates too :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: .

Jenny :kiss:

Like Ken said , the floor would be staggered up here , ......... and the roof line that ties into the main house ??? , looks like a zero" on a foot pitch .......... snow load , ......... three to four feet at any given winter , ....... cept here on the beach that snow load would be accompanied with ice .

Looks good though , a good contractor should talk the missus into a bar sink , black walnut , teak , or curly maple custom bar , remote control lighting , black walnut or teak hardwood floors , flush wall mounted 53" tv and sound/music system with a small chase room behind the components , tiered theater seating for 12 , 100% full Italian marble bathroom with remote control bowl lid opener and closer , and flusher , a winning lottery ticket ,....................

This always reminds me of Tom Hanks in THE MONEY PIT .

All kidding aside it looks great and when it's done you'll forget all the in progress hassles .

Kreighshoer wrote:
you're so good to your doggies! i bet they will love their new own room! :mpup

You have no idea how much their comfort is being considered in this Laura. Seriously. The concrete pad and steps are for them, I got hot and cold water there, figured we can wash them there without bringing them inside. Then they can go right out and roll in the mud again.

andyfettes wrote:
I agree Ken, Mr Holmes is a top bloke

Whats a bar got to do with a modelling haven, I ask myself ? :(

I was hoping to catch someone with that line. guess I'm too old a country fan to think anyone remembers
:drink

But why would I build a modeling room when I have a modeling garage??

Cheyenne wrote:
Like Ken said , the floor would be staggered up here , ......... and the roof line that ties into the main house ??? , looks like a zero" on a foot pitch .......... snow load , ......... three to four feet at any given winter , ....... cept here on the beach that snow load would be accompanied with ice .

Looks good though , a good contractor should talk the missus into a bar sink , black walnut , teak , or curly maple custom bar , remote control lighting , black walnut or teak hardwood floors , flush wall mounted 53" tv and sound/music system with a small chase room behind the components , tiered theater seating for 12 , 100% full Italian marble bathroom with remote control bowl lid opener and closer , and flusher , a winning lottery ticket ,....................

This always reminds me of Tom Hanks in THE MONEY PIT .

All kidding aside it looks great and when it's done you'll forget all the in progress hassles .

well I do have conduit run for A/V hookups :woohoo:

The flat pitch of the roof now has 16 and 18" beams supporting everything. And he installed a freakin' Massive beam along the length of the room, that sucker was heavy man, I know, I helped him lift it.

Here's some progress. With the way things have been going lately I think we hit an old Indian Burial Ground because some Medicine man has been doing a hex dance around my aura.

wip06_20100713_1742243257.jpg

Notice the Redneck burglar alarm on the steps.

wip07_20100713_2052315044.jpg

I'm happy with this. Contractor said two more weeks.

You may recall this picture..
roomwip2_20100704_1117230791.jpg

Well here's the relatively same angle now.

roomwip5_20100717_1378705758.jpg

The Bar along that wall. Seriously, no one remembers that song? Man I must be old...

roomwip6_20100717_1745460782.jpg

Here's looking out towards my darkened and hot garage. The double doors will go to the deck which work started on yesterday.

roomwip7_20100717_1114269159.jpg

Little Abbie coming out to check out things, view back towards the inside of the house. Where that former entertainment center is, we're talking about putting a cozy little booth in, just like your favorite dinner.

roomwip8_20100717_1494934543.jpg

View out the windows, now I can sit and watch my neighbors every move just like he has for all these years. I wish the view was some mountain vista or a lake but, we take what we can.

So there you have it, my only WIP I can post this week. I will be mounting some brass tomorrow, the brass face plates on the outlets.. :mpup

Where is the juke box going to be, cuz you can prop me up against it, when I die. :laugh: I think Mom Puppy is going to have some say in the decorating, isn't she, instead of the song's decorator? Are you sore from moving those expensive rocks around?

Back