• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Mustang Mania Campaign with a Stable for the Gallery?

Only three more votes needed! Maybe in time for Spring? I know some are "chomping at the bit" but we need patience.

Regards,

P-51 B&G 001.jpg
P-51 B&G 2 001.jpg

If I had a 1/48th P-51D to build, this would be a great scheem. It was based at Opa Laka airport in the late 60's early 70's. I think its the best civilian paint job ever done.

And there is this.....
Nice! :dude:

IIRC, the landing gear on these were a potential weak point (especially once you load down the nose w/ weight to keep it from sitting on it's tail). If you are able to source the metal gear w/o breaking the bank it might be something to consider.

On other forums, I asked about red stencils found on the bare aluminum, sometimes in the main gear bay of the P-51. I recalled seeing them on a decal sheet. After a day of no responses, I did find the sheet, Fundekals 32001, which is only available in 1/32nd scale. So it may help others, I posted the sheet information and an image.

On Britmodeller's WWII forum', a person responded that the stencils weren't used during wartime production and I should look at Michel O'Leary's Building the P-51 Mustang then go back and "reformulate your question."

Huh? :hmm::blink :bm:

I responded that I had the book but my plans were for post-war Latin American Mustangs. A third person then chimed in that my post therefore belongs to the Post-War forum, not WWII. That complete post has since been deleted.

If I have anything, it is a mind like an elephant for minutiae. I pulled out the book and began looking over the photos and (of course) found many with the red stencils which were inked on with a roller. The following three can be found on pages 103, 105, and 145. so, if anyone tells you that the stencils weren't there during WWII, refer them to this:

Building the P-51 Mustang 001.JPG
Building the P-51 Mustang 002.JPG
Building the P-51 Mustang 003.JPG
Building the P-51 Mustang 004.JPG

The decal sheet with the stencils in question:
P-51stencisLowRes.jpg

The red stencils are in the rectangle to the left of the uppermost horizontally oriented 'Star and Bar.'

Regards,

Last edited:
Saul, those are markings found on all sheets of aluminum and have nothing in particular to do with a Mustang. They would be throughout on all unfinished (unpainted) sheets of aluminum, my memory tells me one side only. They tell the alloy and the tempered state, and if is alclad. In this case they say Alclad 24ST, repeating in lines and rows. You will find those marks on aluminum sheet stock from the mill.

Saul, those are markings found on all sheets of aluminum and have nothing in particular to do with a Mustang.
I am aware of that John, from my days earning my A&P licenses at Aviation High School. I had to make the posts about the P-51 so I can copy & paste across the fora, one being the P51 SIG who are strict that the content be directly related to the special interest group.

Your memory matches mine; the sheets were red ink stamped on one side and we used to wash it off (not sure with alcohol or some other clear liquid) prior to buffing when they appeared on external surfaces. Internal surfaces were primer coated so they were not removed whenever they appeared on the interior side of the skin. Our teachers would stress grabbing the correct sheet to work on and also trying to get us to have the clean side as the outside. When mistakes occurred, the panel was reused with a different pattern which sometimes necessitated the stamping to be on the external surface.

Thanks for bringing back those 'old school' memories!

Wow, lots changed at the school I attended (then again, it was four decades ago when it was still all boys)!
Aviation High School

I see the school donated my favorite aircraft to the Historic Aircraft Restoration Project (HARP):
7212960378_9a3a61db58_o.jpg

Yet, they still seem to have the A-4 Skyhawk that was rescued from the plinth at the base of the Verrazano Narrows Bridge once the military closed bases in the city.

42512537892_48a0f893c9_h.jpg

Aviation-High-School-Queens-NYC-6.jpg

OK, enough nostalgia!

Regards,

Back