• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Mr Surfacer

moon puppy

Administrator
Staff member
Use to be we used Mr. Surfacer on everything, I used some 500 last night on the Eindecker and thought I haven't heard it's name mentioned in a while. Granted my bottle was nearly dried up, I had to add some thinner to it to reactivate it again. You guys still using it?

Nope, while it does spray nice and even its the thinner, Lacquer-ish that is a no go. :cautious:

I'm with you here. I'd love to use it, AlClad and a whole host of other stuff that I just can't bring myself to use.

Not that I'm question you guys in any way, I could only get back into modeling using zero to very low VOC stuff for health reasons. Even though I have serious ventilation, I wouldn't enjoy using lacquer at this point.

I'm still using 500 as a filler and for replicating cast textures. Works great for that. I have a bottle of the 1000, 1200 and the 1500 also but I don't use those much.

Absolutely! Used it on one of the Verfallen figures to restore a wool coat texture after cleaning up some mold shift.

Not that I'm question you guys in any way, I could only get back into modeling using zero to very low VOC stuff for health reasons. Even though I have serious ventilation, I wouldn't enjoy using lacquer at this point.

I got a 800sq ft shop with a garage door and an air handler that's running all the time. If i'm spraying the really bad stuff I open the garage door and get the fans running.

It was rare I ever sprayed Mr Surfacer and with all the alternatives out there now it'll be even longer before I do it again.

I forgot this, I looked into it a while back and the numbers 500-1500 correspond to the material used, I can't for the life of me remember what is was, so I was going to get some a try to make my own acrylic based stuff at home, mixing it as needed. I do that with bronze dust and microballoons, but the texture is much more coarse.

Anyway, all the places to source it from (I believe it was magnesium or aluminum powder) at a small enough quantity were catering to explosive target making supplies, so I decided against getting of that mailing list.

We all have something a little crazy that we use. For me it automotive bondo and testors liquid cement for casting effect...and wow if I have large surface area to do...😵🥴...I really need to find an alteriteve for that.

I don't use it at all. If I need a filler paint I use a gray out of can primer. The numbers probably correlate to grits of sandpaper. Gary S. XXXXV XX XX

Anyway, all the places to source it from (I believe it was magnesium or aluminum powder) at a small enough quantity were catering to explosive target making supplies, so I decided against getting of that mailing list.
I'd say that's a wise choice, don't want to end up on someone's list like James did when he ordered the "jihadist" flag for a technical. :doh:

I still use it. In fact I think in at least one of my last three updates I mentioned it. You can see it smeared all over the engines of the Antonov. I have only 500. One bottle in use, one in my travel toolbox and two other backups still unopened. When it starts to thicken too much; I just add more lacquer thinner to it to smooth it out again.

Well it would appear that Matt Swan still has his website up that has the great article that we all read years ago about Mr. Surfacer.

Back