• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Mr Paint

paddy

picked these up today as they ae dedicated colours for the Ukrainian SU27 i have

_DSC6379.JPG

Not ad a lot of luck with paints recently having failed miserably to get any results with Mig.
this afternoon i shot some of this through the Paausche and my badger top feed and it didnt seem too bad. Its very thin so it will need a build up i coats so patience is the key but crucially it didnt dry and clog the tip during use like mig did when i tried it. Fingers crossed :)

I really like these paints. They have become my primary exterior paint as they have a diverse selection of FS/RLM colors as well as those of various other countries. They do have a little learning curve to them, but worth it in the end (for me anyways). Since you have to build up a bit more than other paints, they work really well for working subtle variations to the paint.

The only drawbacks for me are the cost (not cheap) and they do require adequate ventilation and/or respirator (lacquer). The later is easily enough mitigated for me where my current spray area is which is set up with a fan & filter setup exhausting out a window.

I would recommend some kind of a holder for the bottle when in use. Being tall and narrow bottles, they are a bit susceptible to tipping over if they get bumped.

Ok so i made a cock up here :) I saw a build in a magazine of the Ukrainian SU27 with digital camo and the guy has used the GWH kit and a set of after market masks for the digital camo.
I bought the correct paints and the kit and now find my version has a decal camo. The other guys was an earlier version and didnt have these decals so he bought the masks...................so i didnt need the paints, well not all of them anyway. ( note to self)

Engage brain before opening wallet :)

I do know that is how it is marketed but the Ukraininans didn't develop colors for only one aircraft. ;)

Blue schemes for fighters (sky colors) and gray for ground attack.

996461.jpg

tumblr_n9sd5aiXkF1txx6x7o1_1280.jpg

Ukrainian_Air_Force_Sukhoi_Su-24M_at_Starokonstantinov.jpg

1677593970203.png

I have decided to make a start on this SU27 so i will let you now how this paint goes. If i have a problem it might be in the decals..........

I have a 1/32 scale Su27B and those same paints. I also obtained some masks and decals from the Ukraine to do the digital blue scheme. Then there is my Su25 and it has the extra goodies as well.

Just an update to this thread
so far i am happy with this MRP. Once you get the spray brush set up to spray sufficiently light coats it goes on well at about 20psi and less. Its an ultra fine pigment and ultra thin, so much so that i am told there is no need to gloss for decals as this paint is so smooth its not necessary.
It hadn't occurred to e that the gloss coat for decals is about a smooth coat not gloss ( just that gloss happens to be smooth) but a fine pigment makes a smooth surface too.

If i have to moan its that this paint comes in silly little 30ml bottles ( primers in 50ml)
now you might say that Tamiya comes in 10ml bottles (also silly small) but tamiya covers in one coat thinned 50%
MRP is ready mixed and ultra thin. you will need to spray 5-6 coats to get an even cover and quite frankly on most model like this SU27 one 30ml bottle is unlikely to be enough
given that the paint itself is probably the cheapest part of the production ( bottling, labelling, distribution etc) and 30ml colour is £5.00 and 50ml primer is £5.50 ( twice as much for an extra 10% cost) why do they supply this in such small bottles.

I’ve sprayed that paint at a friends house before, I dialed the pressure down to about 8psi and could get the thinnest, tightest lines free handing camouflage. It was much like spraying inks, and it was impressive just how flawlessly the paint works.

Like has been mentioned though, it can get expensive as it is so thin that most or all of one bottle can be eaten up on one decent sized model.

@paddy since I am not able to use airbrushes or any kind of spray I tried them in paintbrushing. Horrible results even after X+1 layers. To me they are a no go. Certainly in more capable hands like yours they will look really nice.

Cheers

Alex

Hi alex Yes absolutely a spray only paint. You cant brush it full stop
Could present a slight problem if you needed to do a small touch up to a sprayed surface as i have found.

Back