• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Motor Torpedo Boat Squadron 3, 1941

Rhino

Super Moderator
Mainstream model manufacturers have done a fine job of representing the Elco 80-foot PT Boat since the 1980's.
Skywave was first, Fujimi makes a really nice late Pacific war PT. White Ensign, in their heyday made a great many MGB's, PT's and rescue launches in my favorite scale. Somehow, the boats of Squadron 3 in the Philippine Islands have been passed over. I will endeavor to create a reasonable version of Elco's 77 foot PT that filled the ranks of Lt. John D. Bulkeley's (The Wildman of the Pacific) command.
20220318_214616.jpg
20220318_214741.jpg

"They Were Expendable" is one of my favorite PT Boat movies. I believe Robert Montgomery upstaged John Wayne with his performance as "Lt. Brickley" in the film. The movie is fun to watch, as usual not absolutely historically accurate. Lt Cmdr Robert "Henry" Montgomery commanded PT-107 in the SWPA in 1943, so his handling of his movie PT-41 80-footer comes from hard earned combat experience in action against a determined enemy.

:salute::capsmiley:
Then since as usual, I cain't help myself, The 78-foot Higgins PT, and an improved Elco 80 foot boat is also on the list, along with other Vessels that occupy space in my addled mind.
20220321_131906.jpg
20220316_163515.jpg

Size comparison between (from top to bottom) The Vietnam era "Fast and Nasty" PTF (from The PT Dockyard) , the Skywave Elco 80 foot boat and my own Elco 77 foot PT.
Loose Cannon Models made the discontinued 1/700 Higgins PT. Hugh Letterly has given me permission to use his very fine version of his work in this project. I would not just copy any American's work without express permission. Hugh is a grand old Gent and made excellent resin model ships for many years in his "laboratory" in Colorado.

6 77-foot Elco vessels made up Motor Torpedo Boat Squadron 3 in December of 1941.
USMC Vet Tyrone Power commanded PT-14 in the movie "Crash Dive". My boats will look much like these, but with 4 torpedo tubes. Well, Much, MUCH smaller.

Here we go again!! Thanks for looking in, even if you squint!

That's awesome.
:salute Capt Tyron Power USMC. enlisted during the height of his acting career.

It isn't easy to see, but PT-41's wood deck splintered at the bow. One backwards stroke with the sanding stick and BLOOEY!
20220401_104943.jpg
20220401_105912.jpg
20220401_110929.jpg

I wondered about patching and sanding it gently bask to fix the missing planks. (1/700 Planking!! No Kiddin'!)
It was less time consuming and smarter to just replace the wood decking. For once, I made the better "Don't dick with it" decision.
The end result is pleasing, don't ya think?
I was getting ready to stick the 20mm cannon base to the stern of the deck, when I realized the early 77-footers didn't carry a 20mm gun.
A few more bits to add to the deck house and deck and I can put Her together! The hunt for 1/700 P/E .303 Lewis guns is afoot!
Mufflers, Bow rails, hatches, torpedo tube mounts, portholes, life rings..........
Yeah. A few. :bm:
If it was easy, somebody else would have done it in a less fastidious fashion. :bash::smack:
I haven't even started on my own 1/700 PTF.:frantic:
Thanks again for looking in!

All of these boats will be tooled to have Hasegawa 1/700 P/E twin 13mm guns mounted in their turrets. They aren't exactly accurate, but the look deadly! The Skywave kit guns look chunky and wimpy. Don't tell the Imperial Japanese Navy I use their machine guns!!

20220414_204059.jpg

Another fine evening of casting molds. 40ml of resin goes a long way!
20220414_195647.jpg
20220414_204946.jpg

I finally coaxed the bow rails, forward and lazarette hatches on to PT-41. I took the plunge and attached the not-quite-finished deckhouse on the hull too.
Obvious inaccuracies: About the after part of the deckhouse should be plate that ventilators are mounted. The lazarette hatch should have a rectangular frame around it. My gun turrets may be a skosh too far forward.
Otherwise, I think it has been a dandy PT Boat evening!
A few more near-invisible details to add and off to Mold PT-41 goes (with her sundry Sisters!:lol:)

:capsmiley:
:drunks: :drink
:salute:

20220416_110318.jpg

Saturday morning PT progress.
While I was putting the windscreen on the 41 boat, the deck house came loose. I fixed the omission at the after end of the deckhouse and reattached it to the hull. Measurements look promising for mounting the early Pacific war torpedo tubes. No decent Lewis guns can be found for the foredeck, so far. :bash:

Installing additional guns and leaving off the torpedo tubes and this little model could easily become PT-59. JFK's second command was an Elco 77-foot "Barge Buster".
PT-59 plan.jpg

I made ready ammo boxes for PT-whatever's bow. The 37mm and 20mm platforms are installed. The 37mm ready ammo boxes took flight as I was getting ready to glue them down. I didn't hear them land, so I wrote them off to experience and made another set. PEE guns are on the way for both cannons. :yipee:

I used my 1/72 Revell Ag. PT-559 model for reference on platform and ammo box placement. This late war Boat could mount compressed air torpedo tubes or the later war roll-off torpedoes. The 40mm cannon from the Asheville class PGB mold will populate the after deck mount with a brass barrel. I started on tubes and torpedoes, but there's nothing to show off yet.:lol:

:capsmiley:
:oldguy:

20220514_195230.jpg

Progress on the Elco 77-foot PT master continues. Yesterday was Muffler Day. Not quite perfect, the MTB Squadron 3 boats should make for an interesting addition to 1/700 scale "Giant Killers" in the model marketplace. M1938 tent masters are done.
Early or late war Higgins 78-foot PT? Hugh's original casting fairly cries for cannons! Your thoughts?

Reading the PT manual in the section

GEAR TO TAKE TO THE AREA
World Almanac. (One on every boat will settle many arguments.)
:rotf :dude:

Right!? I read the whole thing! I settled on the one picture to sum it all up.

PT Manual picture..jpg

God Rest You, Cyrus Vance. Late skipper of PT-193. The "Bitchin' Witch"!

20220515_170741.jpg
20220515_183226.jpg

Tonight was Torpedo Night. We created our Library today together. I wore my Sweetie out.
The question I ask myself is ("Myself." That's what I say outloud alone in the privacy of the Nut Department)
Just because you CAN mold and cast small objects, does it mean you should?
The Answer is another question: "Are you planning to make 8 1/700 scale roll-off Mk.13 torpedoes for EVERY PT boat set?" DUMBASS!?! :bash::frantic:
I think not.

The 40mm gun is drilled for it's scale brass barrel. Vietnam PTF's carried a 10-foot loomium boat and one of those is ready too! I need to womp up a tiny life raft. The details are coming along. German G-17 reload torpedoes are ready too. (Shhhh! The E-Boat is a SECRET!!)
All these parts will be in a small parts mold, so I can be sure there are enough tiny parts for each boat.
Hugh's 78-foot Higgins will get charthouse windows, life rings and bases for 37mm Oldsmobile and 20mm Oerlikon cannons. I love to master, mold & cast! It's been a fine TLAR Weekend at home!
:oldguy:
:drunksailor:

In truth, I hope to live where palm trees wave, with a 21-foot, xm-134 armed RHI for errands, a modest home and our luxury schooner "Wind Breaker" ready to sail the Big Blue at the dock. Rank will matter little, as thirsty Men of the Sea visit our island Tiki bar. "Southern Exposure" or "Decent Exposure"( I haven't made up my mind about the name yet.) Our friendly, buxom, curvy, tanned servers of all vintages, will wear skimpy, warm climate outfits. Serve smiles and cold, strong drinkies and rake in $$! I will shamble about the marinas and docks getting new ideas for powerboat and sailing ship models. I will never wear long pants or work shoes again!

The US Navy might upgrade me to full Commander, but I don't need the promotion after all these years. God love you Admiral Bellinger, Sir!

Frank (who sucks at being retired almost as bad as Teresa does) will run the TLAR productions facility, making sure of quality, packaging and customer service. Don and Dian will live next door, but Dian will have an Apple air-tag so we can find her when she wanders about picking up shells and listening to the horrible jokes of stray Clown fish. Don will run the smoker at the Tiki bar and when Teresa isn't running a karaoke show, Richard Prior records will echo across the blue, clear, water, much to the horror of the Woke!
A 5-Star Admiral could not wish for more! Sorry Chester. God rest you!

20220518_170748.jpg

The 77-footer in her mold cup. Torpedo tubes, 40mm cannon, 10-foot boat and 2 1/2 ton truck fill out the mold. Recent Hobby Swap sales enabled the purchase of more molding and casting supplies. :yipee:

Prices for material are up over 30%. For the first time since 2015, I had to increase prices on most TLAR kits, 20% or less to soften the inflationary blow. I hope I bought enough material to avoid any shortages. It's hard to image a shortage of material when you pour 40ml of resin at a time. Who knows anymore?
Thanks again, Bob for looking in!

Back