• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Motor Torpedo Boat Squadron 3, 1941

Thanks Markie! Perhaps your bungalow, overflowing with models and kits, might be not too far from ours in my imaginary beach-front island property. We won't be putting an air tag on you! DON"T talk to any Clown Fish!
I would encourage Vicki and Michelle to see you were well taken care of at "Southern Exposure" without much impropriety. You may find a place aboard the Wind Breaker schooner. You must be capable of proficiently operating a 105mm recoilless rifle and "breaking wind" when The Wife is upwind of you. :lol:
There is lots of room on Our Island! Anyone else wanna play along? Can I make a suitable boat for you?
6cfa13_5a51bb87d8f646a6a67f08c320cf496e_mv2.jpg

Victoria Lynn Happybottom was last seen at Key West this year. She has a wonderful sense of fun and a boring, omnipresent, wealthy husband. Vicki works at Southern Exposure as a Hostess/bartender. She sails about in a classic 37-foot Hinckley Picnic boat or when she's in the mood, a 1950 Chris Craft 19-foot mahogany Racing Runabout.
Thanks for being part of my model fun!

Last edited by a moderator:
Gun Day:

20220521_103816.jpg
20220521_103831.jpg
20220521_105104.jpg

After all the times I cast the Asheville class PGB mold, I thought for sure I had a few stray 40mm guns about. I did not.
I borrowed these from complete PGB resin parts to mold for PT's. These are drilled to receive the proper scale 40mm brass barrel.
Having had no success finding 105mm recoilless rifles, I hoped these might meet my need. Find next the PT weapons mold, properly populated.
20220521_105517.jpg

Since it was "Gun Day" Hugh's 78-foot Higgins PT got her modified twin .50 turrets. His original instructions show a 20mm mounted on the foredeck, but no base for the cannon is there. I think She deserves a 37mm gun too! :hmm:
Thanks for looking in again!

Thanks Markie! Perhaps your bungalow, overflowing with models and kits, might be not too far from ours in my imaginary beach-front island property. We won't be putting an air tag on you! DON"T talk to any Clown Fish!
I would encourage Vicki and Michelle to see you were well taken care of at "Southern Exposure" without much impropriety. You may find a place aboard the Wind Breaker schooner. You must be capable of proficiently operating a 105mm recoilless rifle and "breaking wind" when The Wife is upwind of you. :lol:
There is lots of room on Our Island! Anyone else wanna play along? Can I make a suitable boat for you?
View attachment 150545
Victoria Lynn Happybottom was last seen at Key West this year. She has a wonderful sense of fun and a boring, omnipresent, wealthy husband.
Thanks for being part of my model fun!

Thank you Chris! Of course I'd love to join you on your imaginary beach-front island property! However, I would need at least a warehouse sized bungalow for my 1614 completed models, and a medium sized shed for my stash of kits. No worries about talking with clown fish, I don't like to clown around with them anyway... :silly:

It's an imaginary beach. The possibilities are endless. I hope my silliness brought you a little cheer.
Who doesn't, they put one in a bomber why not a PT boat.
Steve Birdsall's book "Flying Buccaneers" has a picture of a B-24D equipped with an Airacobra 37mm cannon in the nose. Wrecked P-39's were scavenged for a great many weapons, it seems.

Having ran my mouth (again) about Vicki's Chris Craft...................
20220524_211401.jpg
20220524_214244.jpg

Behold! The 1950 Chris Craft 19-foot Runabout Racer (master)! The windscreen is overscale, but allowances must be made in waterline scale. I NEVER make anything smaller than 25 feet o/a. Well, Almost Never. Whatever.
Thanks for riding along!

20220528_113959.jpg
Mold Day! 1/700 Elco 77-footer, Torpedoes & Guns, the damaged Gaffney Peachoid and a non-scale frog, for no really good reason at all.
24-hour demold will tell the tale!
Thanks again for looking in!

20220529_072356.jpg

Here's the non-scale chubby frog Master. All the masters emerged from the molds without much fuss, except for the wrecked Peachoid.
The cylindrical mold had to be relieved in a big way. A two-part mold seems inevitable, but I truly SUCK at 2-part mold making.:ph:
20220529_080347.jpg
20220529_100631.jpg

The Elco 77-foot PT master had a "skin-tag" of stray, pink RTV on her foredeck. I am unsure if this means "Do-over" or not. :bm:
Luckily the boat's master was unharmed. I figger, what the hell and cast it anyway to find out for sure. :bash:
40ml of resin filled 5 molds.
Thanks again and again for looking in!

20220529_132454.jpg
20220529_130118.jpg
20220529_131852.jpg

As fate would have it, the little bit of RTV didn't matter a bit! The 77-footer came out dandy. Torpedoes, tubes and 40mm's all cast up nicely.
20220529_132239.jpg

The chubby frog (toad?) and the wrecked Peachoid molds work well enough to make a few.
It's coming down to what parts to put in what mold for the PT Boat base project.
20220529_165057.jpg

The Higgin's 78-foot PT gets her own handy, little mold with torpedoes and ventilators. I finally found the p/e 37mm gun platform I wanted and put windows on the charthouse. She's ready to mold. Hugh's original 1/700 Higgins PT is pretty nice! Late WW II mod's won't hurt Her any!
20220529_161543.jpg

The jury is still out on what to do about the Elco 80' PT mold and what to include in it. (yes Bob, this one has a bottom plate!) I made a dinky life raft to mount on her bow like the Revell Ag 1/72 scale PT kit. The Chris Craft might fit in there. Hmm.
20220529_143033.jpg

"What's the little 2-ton truck for Rhino?"
It's for the SeaBee's to tow their generator with, of course.
"What do the Seabee's need with a generator?"
To power the mobile radar, of course.
Almost any odd-ball chunk of plastic becomes a valuable asset in this scale!
There are still a few tents to make and mold. Docks and piers are planned, and some other reef/island accessories that I won't be able to decide what to do with. :smack::facepalm::lol:
It was a fine day at the bench!
:salute:
:oldguy:
:capsmiley:

Wow that stuff is crazy small!! I even need my glasses to look at them on my cuter window. :coolio2:

You read my mind, 34 boat in the slip way.
They Were Expendable was on again yesterday, so many scenes would be neat to do. One that caught my eye, one of the crews were going off into the jungle to fight, I had never noticed but they had rigged up a truck into a gun truck with dual .50s mounts and I think I saw the 20 also.

I was up early with a cramp in my foot and put "They Were Expendable" in the Blu-ray player. It was on here too!
20220530_102024.jpg

My friend Larry Murphy, God Rest Him, was a SeaBee. I remember his funny stories about what mischief 'Bees get into when they are bored,
so I had them womp up a water tank. :drunks: :drink:bigrin::stinker:
20220530_102243.jpg

The final decisions about how to populate the 80-footer's mold are made. (SHHhhh! remember the E-Boat is still SECRET!) :bat
The little black RHI boat will become a USCG Enforcer class boat for an upcoming Fast Response Cutter project. Still quite a lot of wasted mold space, but whaddyagonnado? :bm:
20220530_104440.jpg

It occurred to me that I hadn't made any deck ventilators for the 9 resin part, 77-foot PT kit. Some other minute bits went in there too!
I saw a video from PT base at Bougainville. It showed the sailors opened up their tent sides to keep cool. I had a short cast of an 8-man tent and put it to work. The dinky orange life raft is common to late war Boats.
Pay no attention to the SA-332 Super Puma helicopter. Academy's Dokdo LPH model kit comes with a PITIFUL air group complement of 3.
This is being attended to. 1/700 Lynx and Seahawks are easy to find. Sooper Poopers, not so much.
ANYWAY, this sums up a very productive weekend of micro modeling!

20220529_162311.jpg

Do you imagine this irritating Disney snowman has any idea what is going to happen to Him/Her/It later on today?
MUHHU HAHAHAHAHA HAha ha ha!

Back