• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/350 Elco 77-Foot PT Boat.

Rhino

Super Moderator
I moved this project. MTB Squadron 3 thread was all the way out of hand. I never did mean to get carried away in such a fashion. I never mean to.
1663468342288.png

It was the 77-foot Elco PT boats of MTB Squadron 2 that carried the fight to the Tokyo Express off Guadalcanal from their Tulagi base in during the dark days of 1943.
20220917_103745.jpg20220917_103539.jpg
This is my gap filling trick in action. I had a nasty gouge in the stern of my hull. Mark with Sharpie. Dab your tiny bit of C/A glue on, gently sand and repeat until the gouge is fully filled. I was working on mufflers and exhaust pipes when I found this flaw.
20220917_122821.jpg
I need 4 torpedo tube masters to mold for each PT. 21-inch torpedo tube diameters scale to .0625 or 1/16 of an inch at 3/4 of an inch overall.
The smaller brass tube is mathematically correct, but just looks too small. The larger tube is 3/32 or .9375 in diameter. Just a shade too big. :bang head
Heaven help me! Whaddyagonnado?
That was as far as I got on the 77' today.

20221203_141018.jpg
Elco Forward torpedo tube #1, started. There has GOT to be an easier way to do this! I have to make 4 torpedo tube masters.
Yes my friends, The tubes differ slightly from fore to aft mountings. (knock, knock knock.) Hello, Model Monkey? :yipee:

Oh, no. This may be a HUGE plus! If the quality is up to my exacting PT Boat standards this will have saved me months of agonizing, detailed research and mastering.
It depends very much on how the old British molds have fared since 2014 when they closed. $20.26 USD is well below my expected price point.
We'll see how this shakes out.

Conn, Emergency stop!
Helm answers all stop, Captain.
20221217_151127.jpg
The TLAR Models 1/350 Elco 77-foot PT Boat project screeches to halt.
The label says "Elco 70 Foot PT-34" but she measures a shade over 25 meters long in 1/350. We ALL know PT-34 was a 77-foot Elco boat! (She doesn't have any mufflers.............) Elco 70-footers had straight pipes. They were fast and NOISY

Order placed 4 December. Order arrived today, 13 days later. $20.65 with fine detail and Pee parts is much better price than I would have sold my time intensive creation for, without any brass. It's missing deck planking details, mufflers and the hatch in the lazarette. Torpedo tubes are rudimentary, but otherwise it's a beautiful casting!
This is a full hull model, so waterline sanding may well ensue!
Thanks again for looking in!

Back