• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Mosquito NF Mk.II

Old Dog

Well, since I seem to be on a roll and have a bunch of night fighters in the stash I'm going to do another one. I haven't built a Mosquito since the Monogram kit back in the early 70's and the Tamiya kit seemed to be calling my name. I've had the kit in the stash for a dozen years so I've collected a bunch of junk for it, how much actually gets used remains to be seen. Here are the prerequisite start photos

mosquito-su1.jpg

mosquito-su2.jpg

mosquito-su3.jpg

Hmmm, looks like I need to clean my phone :hmm: I don't plan on starting until after New Years Day but wanted to get this part done.

Well, it's been a few days so time for a little update. The instructions on this one have you start with the undercarriage, wings and engine nacelles so I started there. I had the True Details wheels for the kit which I purchased long before I realized they weren't all that great but I really hate dealing with seams on tires. Upon examination I found that the TD wheels had the same hub on both sides which is just wrong so they headed for the junk box. The kit wheels fit was perfect and with the block tread the seam was nearly invisible. Completed main gear
mosquito-b01.jpg

Fortunately they can be installed after the air frame is painted, I would hate to try and mask them or work around them while painting.
The wings and engine nacelles went together without any angst, the fit of the wing tips will require a dab of filler and a swipe of a sanding stick.
mosquito-b02.jpg

The TD interior parts were hit and miss, the radio rack casting in my set was poorly molded and really didn't offer much advantage over the kit part.
mosquito-b03.jpg

The replacement crew door was a big improvement and should look good once the details are painted and washed.
mosquito-b04.jpg

My hands have been more shaky than usual of late so I'm dragging my feet on painting some of the fine details.
The seat was an improvement over the kit part and used the armrests from the kit.
mosquito-b05.jpg

The cockpit wall castings are a big improvement over the kit details, shown below with only some preliminary painting done.
mosquito-b06.jpg

The Instrument panel offered nothing over the kit part and I decided to go with the Eduard PE panel still in progress so no photo. I will be using the TD radios and a couple other parts. While I have been struggling with painting the details for the interior parts I have drug a couple kits off the SOD and have been plugging away on them and with any luck you'll be seeing those before the end of the month. As always thanks for looking !

With Squadron apparently fading away I wonder what will happen to True Details?

The gear looks great, Gary.

Some small progress, the instrument panel is done and mounted to the forward bulkhead
mosquito-b07.jpg

And the balance of the cockpit is done
mosquito-b08.jpg

I can't attach the forward bulkhead until the nose guns are installed. I started cleaning them up and decided the kit pieces were a bit lackluster considering how prominent they are so I ordered a set by master which also includes a brass pitot tube and a set of ends for the 20mm guns. I should have them by the end of the week. mean while I'll plug along on other things ;)

Really nice, Gary.

I haven't built a Mossie since those days either. I've got one of those original kits in the stash along with one of the P-38s that you could build 1200 ways.

Coming along nicely Gary! They really packed the crew in there...sure hope they were good friends.
Now where did I put that can of OFF spray...:blink

Back