• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Monogram 0726 - Alan Kulwicki Thunderbird

Chassis & block progress:

h70f3b6b.jpg

hede6f2a.jpg

h7a5f573.jpg

h0215314.jpg

h76212c8.jpg

All for today more tomorrow.

Ian.

This mornings start point.

hfcf86ed.jpg

hf7fab64.jpg

The bottom of the floor pan and the inside of the shell were white, so I masked the (grey) cage and interior and shot a couple of thin coats of Tamiya glossy white over the white plastic. At the same time I primed the outside of the shell with Tamiya (fine) white primer straight from the rattle can.

After an hour in the spring sunshine I hand-brushed the chassis frame the same light grey as the insides & cage and commenced assembling the underside. Rear suspension, trailing arms etc. The exhausts and block all were added before lunch then left alone to set.

hda9e60c.jpg

hc80a18d.jpg

I also finished-off the roll cage.

h4f60a0d.jpg

ha52ab56.jpg

More in a min...

Ian.

Early this evening I finished off the rolling chassis:

hbc43721.jpg

h191fc26_2017-10-19.jpg

hdfe244b.jpg

h7b1dfb0.jpg

h8e225bf.jpg

...and with that all the 'gluing together' is done. On now to the scarey part - spraying an already white body-shell with a couple of glossy white top-coats... wish me luck !

:frantic

Ian.

Do I remember correctly, didn't someone put advertising on the bottom of a car once? I think it was before they put the roof flaps on when they were getting airborne so often when they spun out.

Looks good Ian.

Orange on...

h06ecea0.jpg

h4677ffd.jpg

... :hmmm not quite as 'bright' as I wanted so maybe will re-mask and spray a day-glo mist coat on top to lift it.

Ian.

Decalling commenced this morning...

h2dba2ad.jpg

hb446284.jpg

hd62791f.jpg

No problems as you'd expect with Powerslide decals. All going fine and should complete it tomorrow. I'll leave it for a couple of days then to let the decals dry-out thoroughly before going to clear coat.

Stay tuned.

Ian.

...and done !

hae19a7a.jpg

Straight from the box with Powerslide decals replacing the kit decals. Thanks for all the interest along the way, folks, more photo's in the Completed Projects Thread.

AFN

Ian.

Brings back memories watching the races every Sunday w/ the old man growing up.

RIP Alan. Never forgotten.

Wow that looks fantastic!

...and done !

hae19a7a.jpg

Straight from the box with Powerslide decals replacing the kit decals. Thanks for all the interest along the way, folks, more photo's in the Completed Projects Thread.

AFN

Ian.

Back