• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Modern Armor Campaign

I can join this. I have a Swedish Leopard min 1/72 scale, as well as a Japanese SDF Type 10 with Dozer blade to do. Let's get some dates for some of these posted so I can plan what to do.

Now I'm NOT saying that 'I'm in', I'm just saying that if I am in, then this will be my AFV of choice....

If that makes sense :gogo

Ian

Now I'm NOT saying that 'I'm in', I'm just saying that if I am in, then this will be my AFV of choice....

If that makes sense :gogo

Ian

Shalom.

To get it to sit at the right height remember to drop the suspension 3 millimeteters because Tamiya took the measurements from a tank with no engine in it.

Cheers from Peter

Thanks Peter.... Yep was aware of that, and the fictitious Tamiya markings, and the ridiculous holes around the rear idler.

Been reading a build thread from 2010 by a guy called 'The Doog' (anybody here know him ??), over on the Finescale site - here's a link - 16 pages of inspiration and clear explanation. If I can get even halfway close to this I'd be ecstatic !!

Ian

Thanks Peter.... Yep was aware of that, and the fictitious Tamiya markings, and the ridiculous holes around the rear idler.

Been reading a build thread from 2010 by a guy called 'The Doog' (anybody here know him ??), over on the Finescale site - here's a link - 16 pages of inspiration and clear explanation. If I can get even halfway close to this I'd be ecstatic !!

Ian

I built this last year here on the site. Big job!

:popcorn

Ian

Shalom.

I don't know him.

What I do know is that the Tamiya M-48 kit #35120 dates from the early days when many of the Tamiya kits were designed to be run via two lever controlled remote wired battery box. That's the reason you have so many big holes to fill. The bright side is that you can tension the tracks by moving the motor gearbox.

It can be a fun build. I made my searchlight operable. Turning the turret to a certain position turns on the light. I did that just for fun.

I looked at the kit in my stash and it has a MRC number and the box was printed in Canada. Quite an international effort. Kit made in Japan, instructions printed in the U.S.A and the box printed in Canada.

At least the kit doesn't have that pesky PE stuff in it. ;<)

One thing about some of these older Tamiya kits, well actually two things. One was that they gave you some sort of figure and two was that you often got some extra gear such as a spare road wheel and crew stuff like duffel bags or sleeping bags. Many kits still don't give you that.

Cheers fom Peter

Shalom.

I am interested in joining this. I have a few unstarted kits that are post-WW2 vehicles that will fit the prerequisites for this group build. I might get another one or two for Christmas this year.

I guess an Israeli Sherman would qualify too? I might put that in the Sherman build though.

Cheers from Peter

Yep I fondly remember those old Tamiya motorized kits - their T34/85 was actually a really nice kit. I still have some pages from their 1979, 81 & 85 catalogues one of which shows the M48 as a "New" release !!. I think I've built it twice before and still have all the 'spares' from both builds aswell as the excellent Academy 'Modern Accessories' set.

And no I'm still not committing....

....yet :soldier

Ian

USMC_M-60A12C_p33.png

USMC_M-60A12C_p34.png

USMC_M-60A12C_p35.png

USMC_M-60A12C_p36.png

USMC_M-60A12C_p38.png

Hey folks

Just a thought.... if anyone is interested in doing something a wee bit more, erm.... challenging, perhaps a little something in MERDC camo would be the way to go. Here a link to the colours used and their (model) paint equivalents, and another link that I found a few years back showing a generic vehicle painted in the differing schemes but using the same pattern.

Just a thought...

Ian

Hey folks

Just a thought.... if anyone is interested in doing something a wee bit more, erm.... challenging, perhaps a little something in MERDC camo would be the way to go. Here a link to the colours used and their (model) paint equivalents, and another link that I found a few years back showing a generic vehicle painted in the differing schemes but using the same pattern.

Just a thought...

Ian

Ian.
Thanks for that link. :ro:

Hey folks

Just a thought...

Ian

Yeah, I've done MERDC before. It is interesting and sure looks good on armored vehicles!

Any idea when this one is going to start? I'm going to pick up the AFV club Paladin that I really want to start, but I might just hold off.

What is modern armor?

I am not trying to stir up any trouble here. :)

What will be considered modern armor for this campaign? I can see no builds with W.W.2 markings. Makes sense. Will the builds be just post 1945 design? Maybe post 1953 design? Or could something designed during the 1939-1953 ear,but with later type markings and use be allowed?

For example.

Israeli Sherman tanks. Or South American Sherman tanks.
:v

What is modern armor?

From the discussion thread here, it's 1946 design and forward. No Shermans. :soldier

What is modern armor?

From the original discussions "Guys i suggest that it include all MBT and AFV's (tracked or wheeled) as long as it has armor . Time frame from Post 1945 to now ! " dukwhunter

Broad? Yes, but all the more to play with.

Back