• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Monogram 1/48 P-51B and 1/51 T-28A

jeaton01

Here's a couple I built this month, going back to the old days of fun quick builds, only with modern materials and methods but no aftermarket allowd, The fit of both of these kits was very good. The only filler on the Mustang was to fair in the chin scoop on the radiator a little, The T-28 needed filler on the right wing root and the top side of the horizontal stabilizer. I should give the rear canopy a little attention so it would set better in the closed position, but that will be for another time. I made the decals for the T-28, replicating the kit markings, and used Mike Grant decals for the Mustang, again replicating the kit markings. The P-51B was built from the original issue of the kit, the T-28 was a Monogram Classics kit from the 90's.

0167p51.jpg

0217p51.jpg

Here's a family portrait with the same kit and a Testors P-51D both of which were built when the kits were fresh to the market in the mid-60's. The B is a bit the worse for wear having flown too close to a ceiling light for a time, shrinking the right wing at the root.
0227p51.jpg

All my old T-28's are gone, I know I built a lot of them, one many moons ago with my very young grandsons who are both now done with college.

0101t28.jpg

0161t28.jpg

0201t28.jpg

That's a blast from the past right there!:good:
Your T-28A began it's life as a kit for the Mexican Air Force. Monogram included a resin cowling and 2-bladed fan. A rare find these days.
If you visit Cozumel, there is a shark-mouth T-28A on a steek inside the old MAF base gate.

I think the kit is much older than that, Chris. The T-28B was first 1n 1956, but I have an original issue T-28A kit from 1957, the one I built in the photos above is from the Monogram Classics release in the 90's.

I remember building a Monogram T-28 years ago in 1/48th scale. I remember that the rear canopy slid back. I think it had a 3 bladed prop though. Was one of the best fitting kits I built at that time. I think it was before painting though. Loooong time ago.

I don't remember that much about it John, but remember it was a nice kit, fit together well and looked good.

I think the kit is much older than that, Chris. The T-28B was first 1n 1956, but I have an original issue T-28A kit from 1957, the one I built in the photos above is from the Monogram Classics release in the 90's.
Yeah. Soooo, I did see the Monogram 1/48 USAF A Model Trojan kit in Madison. It was here legally. Now! Where's my big cold glass of STFU that I so often drink from? Hmm.

I remember building the T-28 way back when I had more hair and was single. Thanks for the fond memories. Gary S.

Back