• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Miniart M3 Lee Mid Production 35209 Build blog

mike walsh

Master at Arms
Hello all,

Here is the Miniart M3 Lee Mid production which has always been a favourite.
So much so I ended up getting 2 of these M3 LEE Miniart kits.

The urge was too much that I had to get in and build the LEE, after step 9 I am having concerns as to why did I start this kit.:ph:

It was a break from the Panzer 38T's which is like the Famo, a war and peace trilogy. :good:
Here is where I am up to now on the 38t's.
By the way I ended up getting another Hobbyboss 38T with interior and added it to the group.
Hobbyboss and Tamiya 38t builds.jpg

The box art sold me on this kit, it looked great.
M3 LEE Mid production box art.jpg

Mind boggling contents when the lid comes off.
M3 LEE Mid Product Box contents1.jpg

The progress made on step 9.
This is not a shake and bake kit like the wonderful Tamiya kits but I must say a big observation is the amount of connection points on the interior components is incredible. They are well secured in place and need utmost care when removing from the sprue and cleaning the tags off the parts.

M3 Lee Build step 9.jpg
M3 Lee lower hull 1.jpg

M3 Lee Engine bay 2.jpg
M3 LEE Engine bay 1.jpg

What is still in the box after step 9.
It doesn't even look like I have made a dent in the build, there is so much. Perfect:vgood:
M3 LEE Box contents 2.jpg

The joys of model building.

Michael:Drinks:

I got the early version I intend to build into Lullu Belle at some point. Thanks for sharing this Mike, looking forward to it. :soldier

Looking forward to watching this. I have an early Lee to do a Canadian vehicle and a Grant so will be taking notes.
James

Excellent start so far! Yeah, there are so many parts in those Miniart kits! One friend of mine refers to that company as "MinAaarrgh!" because of it. LOL! :silly:
:lol:

Thanks you everyone for your words.

Here are some more images.

The main aim was to build and paint the radial engine and have the engine ready to drop in place once the interior is painted.
M3 Lee Radial engine2.jpg
M3 Lee Radial engine.jpg
Miniart M3 Lee engine 1.jpg

The interior is laid out in the sub sections for ease of painting and detailing.
Miniart M3 Lee progress1.jpg

Once the interior is painted and detailed the side of the hull and roof sections will be glued in place.
The 75mm gun mount and radial engine took up most of the weekend to get together. It was well worth the time as they come up a treat.
Miniart M3 Lee 75mm gun1.jpg

IMG_1420.JPG
One of the stand out things with this kit was the under guard detail. Miniart excelled in the fine details.
M3 Lee  Rivet head details2.jpg

Including attention to rivet and bolt head detail inside and outside of the hull. The rivet heads are very prominent. More so than the Takom, Academy and Tamiya M3 Lees.

Bolt head detail 1.jpg

One huge error is with the instructions. It led me to go back to the reference material on hand to check why the radial exhausts had not matched up.
Here are the book instructions
M3 Lee Instructions 1.jpg

Then moving further into the instructions you see this

M3 Lee Instructions 2.jpg
It took fore ever to find the exhausts in the instructions and I found them.
M3 Lee Exhaust position.jpg

The plans also show a different photo etch screen.

IMG_1429.JPG

Then after reviewing references and checking the colour art in the books the M3 is correct. They placed the wrong exhaust pictorial in the instruction booklet.

The good thing Miniart does do is it provides the option to make a later variant.
The exhaust pipes above are in there for the later variant
M3 Lee late style exhaust mounts.jpg

The photoetch screen in the kit is correct as below.

M3 Lee photo etch.jpg

Ensure you use the LG11 rear engine plate because there are 2 in the kit. The second one is for the later style of exhausts.
M3 lee exhaust outlet on inside of rear plate.jpg

Thats it till next time.

Michael

Do you know what the interior colour is on this version ? there seems to be a choice of silver of a very light duck egg blue for the Grant.
how will you paint the interior if you are adding detail on top of it now ?
Excuse the questions , bit of a newbie with tanks.

Hi Paddy,

Thanks for your question.

The panels and sub sections are going to be painted and detailed before the tank is glued together.

The interior will be primed using Vellajo Black primer with Tamiya or AK White. Will try to create a small shadow in the panels to give it some depth.
Then use MIG and AK washes and pigments to go on the floor and around the tank.

It all comes down to ease of painting, detailing and weathering the interior.

Will drop step by step progress images when we get closer.

Hope you all enjoy the build.

Michael

Interesting Mike! As I know absolutely nothing about this tank, it is fascinating. The radial engine used instead of something more conventional is something I had heard about, but this is the first time I have seen something on that.

That's COOL! I enjoy your build because I know I could never manage such a thing myself! :notworthy

Thanks guys.

Rhino,
Its a challenge of a build , just need to stay focused and finish the Lee.

Have started too many projects this year and have nothing finished.

Miniart did a bang up job on the Lee. It is a very highly detailed kit.

The tracks alone took up a large amount of time to put together.

Gary,
I have seen both Sahara Movies , Humphrey Bogart who is true legend in the film industry and the James Belushi Sahara.
Both excellent movies and have not seen them for awhile and probably watch them again over the holidays. :good:

More images to follow shortly. The workbench is a mess with all the sub components laid out.

Michael

Back