• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

MH Design

paddy

Expert model builder of expert photo shop user ?

176e03_7e564eac01394fbd8caab3ea87250a5e~mv2.jpg

I dont want to knock other peoples work but this guy posts pictures of his builds all over the net....he links them to a website that my McAfee flags up as dangerous so i cant check it out
Appears to be a parked domain that redirect you too another site and installs items on you computer. I have several pictures of this build and it just doesnt ring true to me, the lighting, colours even the detail when blown up to 800%, even the parts you probably couldn't see with the naked eye without blowing them up. Look at the finish on that tank behind the spinner ? That's some smooth paint
He is either very clever or making out he's very clever ?

That's a lot of detail, notice dents on the fuel tank and slats. No website requires anything being installed to view. Best to stay away. If that's a model it's off the hook.

I think the camera angle is hitting such that the lower panel is perpendicular to the frame. Making it look different than the lhs. I see inconsistency of the bend of the spark wires also. That makes me think this is a real model.

I checked out his website, he's got a bad certificate and it does indeed redirects to another website. I'm not clickin' it, especially from work. I think he a very talented modeler but sucks as a web admin.

Oh i am sure its a real model but i just think the finish is very much enhanced/tidied up with photo shop

This is his FW190 same as mine. I can see he has also used the eduard engine which is probably why he didnt or couldn't fit the covers
I just get the feeling that if you tidy the build up with photoshop its not really your build anymore . its just too "perfect" to be believable ?

176e03_2128894ca3fc4075ace8543d04cd8c60~mv2.jpg

He also only posts finished models, you never see construction ? he doesnt even say what model it is or scale....

For all the detail he put in he misses some stuff, like how the engine cowl attaches? Looks like a sprue gate on that panel that's lopped over the gun and some silvering on the decal on the gear door.

Pretty sure that 109 is 1/32, the 190 certainly is as i recognise the Eduard engine parts.
So what he has done is remove the moulded in plug wire conduit and leads replace them with a 1mm tube with 0.5mm gland nuts of 3 dia and less than 1mm long, drilled these in at 45 degree into a round tube...and made up mountings for the conduit at about 0.3mm to hold it off the crankcase ?

_DSC9909.JPG

176e03_7e564eac01394fbd8caab3ea87250a5e~mv2.jpg

My only option as i see it is to retain the plastic conduit on the kit part and possibly replace the plug leads...

I have to repeat i am very sceptical of a build that has no construction notes or blog, doesnt even tell you the scale or model used and has parts, perfectly made ,barely visible to the naked eye unless blown up to 800%,

I don't blame you Paddy, there probably are some elements enhanced. I've done that wire trick on some WnW engines except mine sucked...
Those things you blow up might be the enhancements.

It is the HGW model which is Dragon/CyberHobby's kit with a lot of aftermarket included.

Why would the drop-tank be dented/dirty? You dump it when it's empty, and get a new one every time.
Those green hydraulic lines on the 109 stand out like a turd in punchbowl, don't they?
I don't trust a guy that doesn't show how he did it.

This guy does have a facebook account and there he does show some in between images:
you have to scroll down quite a while until you see some of the making 109 pics

Its very unlikely that an E model would have had a drop tank anyway, much like the spitfire they were not designed to carry them.
Its not straight forward to attach a line in to the fuel system, get the fuel up from the tank, to mount the tank on an aircraft with no shackles to suit etc...and of course stop the on board fuel draining back into the drop tank :)
The zero was the first aircraft designed for drop tanks, the mustang drew fuel from the tank to the engine , a Corsair drew fuel to its own tanks then to the engine. ,

The Bf109E-7 was the first variant capable of carrying a drop tank. It entered service in late August 1940.

Cheers,
RichB

I read somewhere the Luftwaffe offered rewards for the return of drop tanks for reuse.
If I recall, German officials sent out notices that drop tanks weren't bombs and should be recovered. It was one of the benefits when the USAAF switched to paper tanks. They couldn't be recycled by German industry.

Cheers,
RichB

I am purposely avoiding after market on my build :) We dont get on :cool:
I will start a thread later.

Thanks Rich
I know nothing about German Aircraft. I am of a generation in England who's father fought Germans and who's family were bombed by Germans. As a child in the 60s i wasnt even allowed to build German Airfix kits :)
Today is the 80th anniversary of Arnhem and on the telly there are parachute drops and flypast commemorating the Parachute regiments heroic stand. Even now the TV guy keeps talking about the Nazi's did this and that and i think No...it was the Germans ( but we are not allowed to say that anymore in this woke society) This 109 E4 i am building has swastika decals but in 2 parts so they dont look like a swastika on the decal sheet.....really ? :)

Back