• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Making Pine trees

Ruben Lopez

Hi everyone, let me show you how I make a pine tree.

For the trunk I use a ¼ inch wood dowel. The length is up to you but keep in mind that you need to leave about ½ inch extra to insert it on the base. The one I’m going to make here will be about 10 ½ inches long. Then I use a pencil sharpener to make the point at the top. Using a rotary tool with a coarse sanding drum attached I give the dowel some texture by passing it lengthwise on the surface. (You are looking for irregularity here so make random passes.) You can also use 100 grit sandpaper but the rotary tool is faster.

Next, measure the point of the lower branches. (I usually put mine at about the same height as the figure’s head but that really depends of the type of tree you are making.)
Using that as a starting point mark every ½ inch till you reach the top. You should end up with something like this:
P1010104.jpg

Then start drilling small holes around the trunk at every mark. I drill 6 holes in the lower part of the trunk, 5 around the middle and 4 closer to the top. Now paint the trunk. Later it will be harder to paint it due to the branches.
P1010103.jpg

For the branches I use “Caspia” branches. I bought it at Michaels many years ago but you should be able to find it at florist shops. If you can’t find it, anything with the same look will work. The branch will determine the size of the holes in the trunk.
P1010149.jpg

Now clamp the trunk on something and start inserting branches in the trunk until you get the correct shape for the pine you are making. This is the most time consuming part of the project. Pine trees tend to be conical, so I start with the lower branches, as they will be the longest ones. Then you have to trim the other ones until you reach the top. Trim the Caspia branches from the inside and dry fit them to the dowel to see the shape; if you feel it’s the correct shape put a drop of white glue to the branch and insert it.
P1010105.jpg

When you reach the top you should have something like this:
P1010106.jpg

Now take a can of your favorite spray adhesive and give a coat to the branches, flock them with static grass and let it dry.
P1010107.jpg

And there you have it; your very own pine tree.
Thanks for your interest

Ruben

Back