• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Making Mirrors

Dave Diaz

“Mirror, Mirror on my tank…”

Hello Fellow Modelers.

We all know that making mirrors look realistic can be difficult and frustrating. I have seen and experimented with various painting techniques over the years and I have found that none offered the results I was after...

Dave's Trick # 4

...Then one day while having a snack at the campus cafeteria I notice the wrapping I had just peeled from my chocolate pudding snack.

1.jpg

The look of it and the texture are just perfect to simulate mirrors. So I gave it a try and it became my standard technique to simulate mirrors.

Just simply cut it with a knife and shape it to the desired shape. Then glue it with CA glue. This is useful especially for modern armor.

2-1.jpg

3-1.jpg

For round mirrors I use a leather puncher (a punch & die don’t work here) and cut a disc from the wrapping.

4-1.jpg

Then glue it in place.

5-1.jpg

I realize that you may not find “Nutela” chocolate candy outside the US, but a similar product could be found. The important thing is that sometimes the solution to our modeling problems are all around us, its just a matter of paying attention. ;) So keep your eyes open!

Model on!

Dave

thank you for the excellent tip Dave i am off to the store to get some pudding!! B)

Back