• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

M3 Grant Royal Scots Greys

RichB

In the starter's blocks.

DSCF0021.JPG

DSCF0022.JPG

I have decals and some resin, PE and aluminium barrels on order.

I'll add some of these guys to help set the scene.

DSCF0023.JPG

Cheers,
Richard

Work has begun, albeit slowly.

The transmission cover has had some texture added with Mr. Surface stippled on.

DSCF0025.JPG

DSCF0026.JPG

I liberated the 5 spoke road wheels from a Tamiya M4 Early (destined to become a Badger) to replace the kits 6 spokes wheels.

DSCF0027.JPG

Now I need the supply train to reach me so I can build up the interior details.

Cheers,
Richard

Work has begun, albeit slowly.

The transmission cover has had some texture added with Mr. Surface stippled on.

DSCF0025.JPG

DSCF0026.JPG

I liberated the 5 spoke road wheels from a Tamiya M4 Early (destined to become a Badger) to replace the kits 6 spokes wheels.

DSCF0027.JPG

Now I need the supply train to reach me so I can build up the interior details.

Cheers,
Richard

Nice works so far Rich

I wonder if that would work for the Academy M3 with their incorrect boogies.

The Academy M3 Lee/Grant needs a whole new bogie assy. The kits bogie housing is about 2mm too tall which makes the return roller sit too low to the housing. Their M7 has corrected this.

Cheers,
Richard

There are some resin replacement sets available by Legend and Resicast. Formations used to have set, I don't know if they still do. I believe at one time the suspension sprue from the M7 kit was available separately, don't know if it still is. It has been said that the newer production runs of the M3 Lee and Grant kits have the corrected M7 suspension sprue in place of the original incorrect version.

Cheers,
Richard

:popcorn Looking good!
I also have the Academy Lee but it's waiting for me to get those parts.....
Looking forward to see you build up this one, tamiya is always a pleasure (maybe not the most accurate all the time but building is easy)
//Mats

There are some resin replacement sets available by Legend and Resicast. Formations used to have set, I don't know if they still do. I believe at one time the suspension sprue from the M7 kit was available separately, don't know if it still is. It has been said that the newer production runs of the M3 Lee and Grant kits have the corrected M7 suspension sprue in place of the original incorrect version.

Cheers,
Richard

Surely don't mean to hijack your thread but how would I know I have a later run as oppose to an early? I haven't even looked in the kit yet so I got that working against me... :rotf

Cheers,
Richard

Surely don't mean to hijack your thread but how would I know I have a later run as oppose to an early? I haven't even looked in the kit yet so I got that working against me... :rotf

I don't have any of the Academy kits myself and don't have any clue as to how to identify different production runs. From the reviews I've read the easiest way would be to measure the bogie housing. The M3 housings measure slightly over 13 mm from the base to the flat top and the M7 housings measure 11 mm.

Cheers,
Richard

So, most of the extra bits have arrived. Echelon decals, Blackdog stowage, Verlinden interior, RB 37mm & 75mm barrels and Bronco WE210 tracks. They will probably require some tweaks to the drive sprockets to fit properly. Only an Eduard PE set for some exterior details to come.

DSCF0034.JPG

Cheers,
Richard

I wonder if that black Dog set will fit on a Priest?? Must look now :D
James

It is for the Academy Grant so it just might with some gentle persuasion. In addition to the extra gear for the rear deck and sides, you get the sandbag armour for the front and the canvas cover for the 75mm mantlet.

Cheers,
Richard

Back