• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Lockheed T-33A - RCAF

RichB

In 1951 the RCAF selected the T-33 as its new trainer. Canadair was selected to license built the new Silver Star and Rolls Royce Canada the Nene Mk.10 Engine.

As the production line was being established, 20 aircraft were received on loan from the US. These early T-33's arrived with the underslung Misawa wingtip tanks and no ejection seats. They became known as the Silver Star Mk. 1 and received full RCAF codes, serials and national markings

ac_008.jpg

To meet training needs, an additional 10 were received on loan in Aug 1952. These aircraft were known as T-33A's while in RCAF service and flew with their USAF serial and buzz numbers and RCAF roundels on the upper wings and aft fuselage.

CASM-Aircrafthistories-CanadairCL-30SilverStar.jpg

Most of these loaners were sent to No. 1 OTU (Sabre Conversion) at Chatham, the Central Flying School in Trenton and No. 3 (AW) OTU (CF100 Conversion) at North Bay. When the Silver Star Mk. 3's began arriving in 1953, the survivors were returned to the US. Some of the aircraft were upgraded and transferred to Greece and Turkey under the MDAP. Several have since been put on static display.

So, with the GWH T-33A kit and decals for RCAF roundels and USAF buzz numbers in hand, a split personality T-33A of the second batch on loan will be the subject of this build.

T33A~0.JPG

Leafs.JPG

Cheers,
Rich

:popcorn

It's been a while since I've seen a trainer built. Got a couple in my stash too (a T-38 & a T-2).

An early morning start on the cockpit. Cut styrene, sniff some glue and off to work.

Ckpt1.JPG

Cheers,
Rich

Just noticed....Square holes for round sticks :rotf Don't recall ever seeing that before :hmmm Sorry, just got out from under a bathroom sink after some plumbing work .
May not be quite myself :idonno

Cheers, Christian B)

Just noticed....Square holes for round sticks :rotf Don't recall ever seeing that before :hmmm Sorry, just got out from under a bathroom sink after some plumbing work .

Cheers, Christian B)

The two round holes are for pins on the bottom of the seats to position them correctly.

Cheers,
Rich

Cheers, Christian B)

The two round holes are for pins on the bottom of the seats to position them correctly.

Cheers,
Rich

Don't mind me . Not used to seeing square holes ...Press on.

Cheers, Christian B)

Back