• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Lilyia Litvak ' s Yak-1

I think it's "don't talk back" :lol: The color really looks good, do those guys make a russian green?

Painted the balck paterns of the cammo with my own Tamyia paint mixture and added a few decals after the paint curred .

0032.jpg

0023.jpg

More fun to come. Hope you enjoy. B)

:) I forgot to mension how well the new Iawata air brush handles those fine paterns. Can't wait to do some of those mottled paterns.

Cheers, Christian

Looks great, Chris! As much homework as you did on the airbrush, I'm glad it paid off!

Hey Christian, I am not that big into modelaircraft [like the real stuff more] but this already looks pretty GOOD!

Greetings,Ron.

Wow- that looks right nice, PII! At first I thought you'd painted the insignia on- whoo!

Cheers-
chuk

Hello everyone. I have a couple small things to post tonight. Of course it continues to be problems and repairs.
Shortly after the last coat of camouflage I tried to fit the prop and hub to the front cowling just to find that the top panel was too short in the front. After some Tenax and some strip styrene here we are back to sanding. Actually not too tough of a repair.

006.jpg

and in the process of liberating this prop from the gigantic sprue trees I liberated too much of it. That brought me to a repair I found some time back which consist of melting some plastic from the original sprue
and applying it to the damaged piece. The tape is for baking and does not get stuck to the plastic.
Shaping it back to size was easy since all the plastic has the same hardness.

0013.jpg

Before and not much latter. I have also added a piece of tubing to the center of the spinner

0022-1.jpg

Cheers, for now. Christian

What was so bad about this update? Fantastic repair job, bakers tape, how hot can it get? I know it can't take soldering temperatures.

yes I can see the photobucket pictures, off work today. :mpup

Well, had more fun with brass:)

005-2-1-1.jpg

guess you might say we're getting to the brass tack. ( No fancy soldering here MP ). Just some good old Scotch's adhesive and damp brush to remove the excess.
Don't ask what the odd gear doors are. They came with the brass kit and I took the picture before I realized they did not fit the build (???).

0034.jpg

Some decals and pin washes while the glue dries and disappears .

0022.jpg

TTFN. Christian

Hi Christian,

These WW II Russian war birds seem to have been sculpted with a hatched: man do they look rustic and tough! BTW, were they good fighters?
emoticon_confused.gif

I had all but forgotten about the lady fighters of the USSR: they must've been tough too, after all you had to be tough just to survive behind the "iron curtain", specially during the war.
emoticon_spy.gif

Although I've been following your build since you started it, only now have I remembered to leave you a post... sorry. If I have, with my two tanks and the bomber, half of the problems you're having with your Yak, I guess I'll move on to a less stressing hobby, like birdwatching, or cooking, for instance... As you said, you're good with repairs, which certainly is not my case... :unsure:

Your paint job is coming along very nicely and that propeller job you did was awesome: there's not a single Thread here at TnT where I don't learn something!
emoticon_nod.gif

Cheers and good luck with your Yak!
emoticon_yo.gif

Fernao

That's probably a good analogy since we gave them so much material and technology to build airplanes the hardware stores probably made a killing on hatchets ! :hmmm

Christian

Hi everyone ! After a few weeks of being overly busy I am back at the table with a few small updates.
AS I have stated earlier the canopy in this kit is really poor. I tried to salvage it and when that failed I tried to make a vacum formed copy and this is the end result. Even worse !

005-3.jpg

Aftersome reaserch I found an assortment of Russian vac formed canopies at Sqadron and ordered their only copy.
While I waited and waited for the parts to arriveI built the gun sight. Hope I can get it to it's destination before the carpet monster eats it.

004-1.jpg

While still waiting for Squadron to get me my parts I wished that they would catch up to the rest of the shops and learn to Email posting notifications so that impatient modelers like me would know what's going on with my stuff !
As slow as they are they can be depended upon to deliver, so here' a canopy trimmed , futured and masked.
Lets paint !

0023-1.jpg

More updates soon.

Cheers, Christian

Hello everyone,
I have made progress today so I'll share. Thank you for looking. I will add more this weekend.
Hope you enjoy !B)

0012.jpg

008.jpg

And now we have a canopy ! B)

I like the footprints going up the wingroot. Nice touch of detail. Clean little bird, I like it!

Hello everyone,
:) glad to be able to post a few things today. Even though I have been very busy as of late I have been able to plug away one small thing at a time but small things are all that was needed while waiting for the transparencies to arrive.

0052.jpg

At this point I have been working on outside details. Wing fuel gages , gear downlock indicators (barber poles), the landing light has been fabricated and installed as well as the long awaited canopy.

006.jpg

some pictures are here to mainly illustrate that it has a comprehensive interior.
I also seem to have been corrupted by the dark side as I now find myself wning MIG pigments and throwing mud at my aircraft. They did however operate in such conditions so I do find it plausible.

013.jpg

009.jpg

012.jpg

007.jpg

And now last but not least, I borrowed this picture of our fallen hero from the great patriotic war. Lily Litvak.

003.jpg

So, this this build is done and now I go back to the hanger and pull the IL-2 back out where I have left it untill I could find another bucket full of patience for it.

Hope you enjoy and thanks for looking...
Cheers, Christian B)

Back