• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Lilyia Litvak ' s Yak-1

phantom II

Master at Arms
For a long time, I have wanted to build this aiplanes with her markings. Since Amodel was gratious enough torelease it with the correct decals, it is now posible. :)

I though her particular aircrft would be interesting since she is the only female ace that I am aware of.

0024.jpg

The detail is recessed and clean but the canopy is awfull. So, the build begins...

Yak-1002.jpg

Yak-1001.jpg

I added an interior from Parts. These angles don't show it off well but will try again when the kit is assembled and I have a light kit. :(

Yak-1004.jpg

I started assembling the tail and wings in the jig.

yak-1injig001.jpg

I like this kit but there is enough plastic here to build two to three airplanes so I'm having to carve it out of this block of plastic and fitting everything. I need a break ! :blink

Built the Accurate Miniatures one a ways back and it was a nice build. Looking forward to more! I picked up the book "Night Witches" at a garage sale one time for a $1...great little story about the female Soviet aviators.

Looks like a ton of work, but should be nice when done. Is that a jig with a sanding stick to make the nose even?? If so very cool idea. I'll have to remember that and maybe buy some lego.
James

jknaus wrote:
Looks like a ton of work, but should be nice when done. Is that a jig with a sanding stick to make the nose even?? If so very cool idea. I'll have to remember that and maybe buy some lego.
James

yak-1injig003.jpg

Iron Mike wrote:
OK, now you have officially lost your lurker status! Nice start!!

Now that I'm building a Russian airplane I'm still probably in an unknown place. :S

yak-1injig002.jpg

Well, I have sawed,cut sanded and fitted on this wing and fuselage until they sort of fit together. Hurray for super glue and MR Surfacer. Also added the radiators and the radiator door.

moon puppy wrote:
Gee...wish I could see this pictures while goofin' off at work...just saying. :mpup
tap, tap, tap, is this thing on? tap, tap, tap

Hey Mp, that's on my list of to do's. Right now I'm just happy when I manage to post something as is. I'm hopping for improvements but as the bomber build , it may take a little bit longer !

Cheers, Christian B)

after adding more fillers and sanding , the wings and fuselage began to look like they might have made to fit one another after all.
Shot some primmer to find any obvious flaws and made a few more refinements.

001.jpg

At this point I decided to fit the front engine cowl to the fuselage but as you can see, it needed sanding to make it fit. Thankfully the plastic is soft.

003.jpg

:woohoo:

The Yakovlev fighters are amongst my favorites (they also had a few sharkmouths). How are the exhausts handled on this kit? are they inserted from the outside or inside?

Regards,

They are quite nice and get inserted from the inside. It's a shame I didn't realize they don't fit and the holes had to be filed out. So far this airplane has been a comedy of errors and repairs. The good thing is I'm pretty good at repairs and it's slowy shapping out to be a good representation of a yak-I. The yak-3 has prettier lines and looks more like a sport version than being utilitarian.

Christian

Here are the offending exhaust stacks. As you can see there is no shortage of plastic. They are actually molded quite nicely once they were cleaned up. The second challenge besides the fact that they did not fit was when to install them in relations to the top cowl and the propeller hub.

004.jpg

At this point I thought the technical difficulties had been resolved so the cowl was tacked on and painted with Akan AMT-4 paint. I wish these paint were more readily available to Russian aircraft builders as they shoot very smoothly.

Iak-IEarly001.jpg

Iak-IEarly002.jpg

These paints are also more opaque than the trusty old Tamiyas so that they would be easier to blend.

Hope you enjoy. Christian

Back