• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Latest Acquisitions Revisited!

5590551D-E3E9-4238-BC36-A5676999D0F5.jpeg

more accessories

Just received the Meng Fokker Dr.1... and of course, Part B-6 was broken. Contacted Meng and they said it is on its way. We'll see how long this will take. I have separate decals and am gathering paints. I guess since there are so few wires I might just do it.
Barney, mine had a small part of B6 broken off as well, but the small part was floating around in the bag so no biggie for me.

I was just surfing on Offerup for curios,these folks in my town are moving and just downsizing.
She was a Disney memorabilia collector,now just selling off stuff

I bought the Miniart Grant Mk1 today. I looked at the price, my finger hovered over the button ............i looked away and pushed it. Too late now i have done it i told myself.
I wanted something i could hone my desert camo painting on but now realise i have a Churchill in the cupboard and they were used in the desert as well.
while looking in to the Churchill i found this on Wiki about their use in Africa

Six Mk III Churchills (with the 6 pounder) saw action in the Second Battle of El Alamein in October 1942. This detachment, called "Kingforce", supported the attack of 7th Motor Brigade. The Churchills were fired on many times by Italian and German anti-tank guns, but only one was knocked out and partially caught on fire.[21] One tank was said to have been hit up to 80 times.[22][23]

Kingforce, formed to test whether the Churchills could operate in Africa, was disbanded after El Alamein. The 25th Army Tank Brigade of three regiments was sent to Africa, and went into action in February 1943 during the Tunisian campaign.[note 3]

Churchill tanks took part in containing the German offensive of Operation Ochsenkopf in February – March 1943. At a place called Steamroller Farm, two Churchill Mk III tanks of 51 RTR got ahead of their squadron. They came across an entire German transport column, which they ambushed and completely shot up before they rejoined. The end result was the destruction of two 88 mm, two 75 mm and two 50 mm, four lesser anti-tank guns, 25 wheeled vehicles, two 3-inch mortars, two Panzer III tanks and infliction of nearly 200 casualties.[24]

A Churchill tank in a hull down defensive position made a particular contribution to Allied success. In one encounter, on 21 April 1943, during the start of the Battle of Longstop Hill, a Churchill tank of the 48th Royal Tank Regiment got the better of a German Tiger I heavy tank. A 6 pounder shot from the Churchill lodged between the Tiger's turret and turret ring, jamming the turret and injuring the German crew. They abandoned the Tiger, which was subsequently captured by the British. Known as Tiger 131, this Tiger was the first captured by the Western Allies and was particularly useful for intelligence. Tiger 131 has since been restored to full working condition and is now on display at The Tank Museum in Dorset, UK.

I thought this was interesting and i would share it. Its a shame the Virus has closed down all attractions here but maybe in the Summer i will go down to Bovington and visit the Tank Museum, its only about 80 miles.

I bought the Miniart Grant Mk1 today. I looked at the price, my finger hovered over the button ............i looked away and pushed it. Too late now i have done it i told myself.
I wanted something i could hone my desert camo painting on but now realise i have a Churchill in the cupboard and they were used in the desert as well.
while looking in to the Churchill i found this on Wiki about their use in Africa

Six Mk III Churchills (with the 6 pounder) saw action in the Second Battle of El Alamein in October 1942. This detachment, called "Kingforce", supported the attack of 7th Motor Brigade. The Churchills were fired on many times by Italian and German anti-tank guns, but only one was knocked out and partially caught on fire.[21] One tank was said to have been hit up to 80 times.[22][23]

Kingforce, formed to test whether the Churchills could operate in Africa, was disbanded after El Alamein. The 25th Army Tank Brigade of three regiments was sent to Africa, and went into action in February 1943 during the Tunisian campaign.[note 3]

Churchill tanks took part in containing the German offensive of Operation Ochsenkopf in February – March 1943. At a place called Steamroller Farm, two Churchill Mk III tanks of 51 RTR got ahead of their squadron. They came across an entire German transport column, which they ambushed and completely shot up before they rejoined. The end result was the destruction of two 88 mm, two 75 mm and two 50 mm, four lesser anti-tank guns, 25 wheeled vehicles, two 3-inch mortars, two Panzer III tanks and infliction of nearly 200 casualties.[24]

A Churchill tank in a hull down defensive position made a particular contribution to Allied success. In one encounter, on 21 April 1943, during the start of the Battle of Longstop Hill, a Churchill tank of the 48th Royal Tank Regiment got the better of a German Tiger I heavy tank. A 6 pounder shot from the Churchill lodged between the Tiger's turret and turret ring, jamming the turret and injuring the German crew. They abandoned the Tiger, which was subsequently captured by the British. Known as Tiger 131, this Tiger was the first captured by the Western Allies and was particularly useful for intelligence. Tiger 131 has since been restored to full working condition and is now on display at The Tank Museum in Dorset, UK.

I thought this was interesting and i would share it. Its a shame the Virus has closed down all attractions here but maybe in the Summer i will go down to Bovington and visit the Tank Museum, its only about 80 miles.
The Miniart kits are very nice but they are also a challenge. Take your time and it should come out awesome. Other Desert tanks to look at are the Valentine by AFV. Very nice kit. Bronco and Gekko both make the A9 and A10 tanks and they were used in the Desert and the BEF. There is also a 1/35 A13 tanks available. So many Desert schemes now which we didnt have a few years ago. Looking forward to your build.
James

Okay my kits I splurged on before Christmas as well as a couple of books have just arrived. Looking forward to trying this new Pz III, hope its good. Also I have the Challenger II TES and now an earlier one without all the extra armour. Ordered some decals for it as well and will do something from Kosovo
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
10.jpg
51QlK4rMjfL._SX348_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
DSC08959.JPG
DSC08960.JPG
DSC08961.JPG
DSC08962.JPG
DSC08963.JPG
James.

I have to say though that I do not understand why in the world RFM added some weird figures in the kit. They look ugly and are unusable in my opinion.

The Miniart kits are very nice but they are also a challenge. Take your time and it should come out awesome. Other Desert tanks to look at are the Valentine by AFV. Very nice kit. Bronco and Gekko both make the A9 and A10 tanks and they were used in the Desert and the BEF. There is also a 1/35 A13 tanks available. So many Desert schemes now which we didnt have a few years ago. Looking forward to your build.
James

Out of interest what are the challenges here ? is it just complicated or are there fit issues etc ?
forewarned is forearmed

:)

Out of interest what are the challenges here ? is it just complicated or are there fit issues etc ?
forewarned is forearmed

:)
Miniart plastic is softer than most kits so when sanding it takes some care or you can clean too much off.. There are a lot of very tiny pieces and a lot of tiny pieces that get made into assemblies that would have been better off as 1 or 2 pieces. Really watch where you are gluing parts. From ones I have done I find the fit to be very precise and so you really need to dry fit everything.
I have 2 of these kits but have not yet started them. One is a Lee which will be Canadian and the other is the Grant. A good reference really helps. Also if an assembly does not look right or make sense then start looking further on in the instructions and in most cases you will see it from another angle which helps with placement.
Couple of good pics here. https://www.themodellingnews.com/2019/05/preview-new-35th-scale-grant-mk-i-full.html#more
I think Bob has started his Lee and may have more info. I found it well worthwhile to buy some metal blocks to help true the suspension and frames of my miniart trucks and cars and they help trueing the multi part tubs also. Biggest thing is to enjoy.
James

Okay my kits I splurged on before Christmas as well as a couple of books have just arrived. Looking forward to trying this new Pz III, hope its good. Also I have the Challenger II TES and now an earlier one without all the extra armour. Ordered some decals for it as well and will do something from KosovoView attachment 132390View attachment 132391View attachment 132392View attachment 132393View attachment 132394View attachment 132395View attachment 132396View attachment 132397View attachment 132398View attachment 132399James.
Thats some haul James

Miniart plastic is softer than most kits so when sanding it takes some care or you can clean too much off.. There are a lot of very tiny pieces and a lot of tiny pieces that get made into assemblies that would have been better off as 1 or 2 pieces. Really watch where you are gluing parts. From ones I have done I find the fit to be very precise and so you really need to dry fit everything.
I have 2 of these kits but have not yet started them. One is a Lee which will be Canadian and the other is the Grant. A good reference really helps. Also if an assembly does not look right or make sense then start looking further on in the instructions and in most cases you will see it from another angle which helps with placement.
Couple of good pics here. https://www.themodellingnews.com/2019/05/preview-new-35th-scale-grant-mk-i-full.html#more
I think Bob has started his Lee and may have more info. I found it well worthwhile to buy some metal blocks to help true the suspension and frames of my miniart trucks and cars and they help trueing the multi part tubs also. Biggest thing is to enjoy.
James
Rumors of my starting the Lee, yet once again...are greatly exaggerated. :oldguy:
Thanks for the info James.

There are a couple of filler caps on each side behind the turret.

11350026706_5cc6ebd412_c.jpg

Does any one know if all 4 are fuel or did this carry water tanks as well.
Thinking about a dio they seem to have used RAF bowsers to refuel these in Libya.

Back