• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Kubel with Cold Weather Starter & then some

panzerace007

Hey Guys ,

I started this a little while back . It's Cyberhobby/Dragon's Kubel with Cold Weather Starter. Th box also has the Cold Weather starter, a plate for either a Tiger or Panther & 4 Mechanics in Cold Weather Gear :woohoo: . Th Figures don't look too bad . Th Goal is to do a Vignette & have it hooked up to a Panther .... I think I may have to sacrifice a Panther that's in th stash to make a Wedgie , as I want th main focus to be th Kubel . O.K. enough babble .... on with th Show !!

Kubel_Exploded.JPG

Kubel_doors_minus_handles.JPG

I've shaved th door hardware as I found an Edward P.E. set for th Italeri Kubel laying around th Panzer Shoppe & since I don't have that kit ......

Kubel_tires_with_putty_.JPG

Here are th tires .. ready for some Mr.Dissolved Putty !!

Kubel_Hood.JPG

Th bonnet has been cleaned up in anticipation of th P.E. parts

DSC08448.JPG

I plan on adding some bits to this ,as it's gonna be exposed & will need a few pieces, but other wise is a really good rendition of th V-Dub power plant all 985cc's @ a whopping 24 horses .... Yeah Baby , If I drag race this I can time it with a Calendar :woohoo:

Kubel_drivers_side.JPG

here she sits with a coat of Vallejo German Grey Primer , then I shot some Vallejo Model Air German Grey mixed with German Camo Beige for th high lights. I shot th highlights at a 90 degree angle to th floor of th Kubel . I'm not gonna concentrate too much on interior details b/c I'm gonna have th top up & windows closed .... it is Winter time on th Russian Steppe ya know !

Kubel_Speedo.JPG

Th Speedo was picked out with Vallejo's Panzer Aces White (#344) & Games Black. The Leather "pads" on th Oh Sh%t Bar were picked out with Vallejo Leather Brown , dry brushed with German Camo Beige

Kubel_rear_storage_area.JPG

Some scratches/wear & tear were applied with Vallejo German Camo Black/Brown

DSC08606.JPG

I used th P.E. door handles & shot them th same as th interior

DSC08605.JPG

Th Tires same too, I added some brass wire for th Valve stems !!

DSC08600.JPG

Another shot at th speedo & th P.E. bits on th bonnet , like th bump stops for th Windshield, the reinforcement under th spare tire &th license plate. I also added some brass wire for th leads to th head lights.
DSC08601.JPG

Since th Kubel will belong to th Werkstatt corps, some body damage was in order, so I broke out th Dremel & added some Dents & digs !

Kubel_wooden_slats%7E0.JPG

Th Floor Boards are separate & I gave them a base of Tamiya Wooden Deck Tan

Wooden_colors_Kubel_floor_boards_.JPG

Kubel_Floor_boerads_dot_filters_.JPG

I gave them a dot filter of Burnt Sienna & Raw Umber for it's Woody-ness . Notice that I put th Oil paint on some corrugated Cardboard to leech out th lint seed oil , which helps it to dry faster & to kill th Sheen ( not Charlie Sheen ... that's a whole different story)
platoon-sheen.jpeg

DSC08623.JPG

Next , I liberated an Eye Shadow applicator to drag th Oil
DSC08624.JPG

I lightly dragged th Oil in one direction with long strokes . **Note - When finished , just hang onto th applicator. Woman get a little aggitated when they rub Oil paint on Their Eye lids :yipee .... :vmad
DSC08625.JPG

Now it's time to take care of the Convertible top.
Kubel_top_material_.JPG

Kubel_top_gettin_ready.JPG

I cut a square of the razor thin foil. Once you remove the Wax paper backing the foil is literally less than a 1/16"

Kubel_top_startin_to_cover.JPG

I applied th C.A. around the front edge along the sides & paying attention to the bows in the roof. Lookin back I shoulda' accentuated the bows with some styrene rod & then covered it. ??
Kubel_top_almost_finished_covered.JPG

Kuble_top_covered_and_ready_to_fold_over_.JPG
I trimmed th edges in the rear & folded th foil around & over the edges

trimming_the_kubel_top.JPG

Kubel_top_covered.JPG

Once dried I trimmed off th excess & snipped the windows

Kubel_top_primed.JPG

DSC08618.JPG

Gettin' a coat of Vallejo Black Primer :v

DSC08620.JPG

Dry brushing with Vallejo Canvas

DSC08627.JPG

another pass this time with Tamiya Khaki Drab

DSC08628.JPG

DSC08631.JPG

DSC08632.JPG

With a final pass of German Camo Beige

Ah .... not a bad day in th Shoppe ! Race ya to th Pub ....... And out th Door I went .....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGWlSMFNRag​

Very cool Erik!!! I really like the way you did the floor boards.

(y)

Guh! Now I have to go back and add MOAR DETAILS to my Kubel! I'll be lazy and let you lead the way, Erik- cheers!

Dear Erik.

...I like so much the way that you replicate the wood pattern...simple but very effective...following with interest...

Cheers.

Luiz.

Hey Guys ,

Thanx for th kind words !! I'm glad you all Dig it !!

@ CHUKW - No worries brotha' !! You just keep crankin out those Kick AZZ Graphics !

UnidentifiedSithLord-TOR.jpeg

Darth Malgus. My New Favorite Villain !!

O.K. back to th Panzer Shoppe .... I'm workin on th Super Power plant that'll help this Kubel break inertia !

:erik

Wow,that's looking real good and some nice techniques also,keep it going.

You wouldnt be a Gerge Thorogood fan would you? One of my favorites,seen him many times including front row at the Allentown Fair

That Kubel is looking fine. That is in 1/35 scale, right? Is it going to be in desert colors or maybe winter colors? I see cold weather starter gear, so I'm assuming it will be a winter setup.

Dave W.

Hey DAVE,

With the cold weather starter I'll have it in a White Wash & placed in a vignette with the figures & a Panther wedgie .

Thanx for th kind words !

Here's another lil' update . ......

I've finished the beast of a power plant that propels th Kubel across th Russian Steppe. It's an overwhelming Air cooled Flat-4 ,4 speed kickin' out a whopping 985cc's with 23 hp !! :woohoo:

DSC08639.JPG

I used th insulation off of a phone cable ( from 1 wire) to act as th conduit for th spark plug wires & used .01" copper wire ( Fly tying wire) for the plug wires . I also added wire to th Alternator transformer , going back to th battery. It's a bit oversized & lookin' back , I'd use 2 strands of the .01" wire braided , instead. I also nicked the X-tra fuel tank ( Cold Weather Engine Primer, attached to th Fan Shroud) from th Tamiya Kubel engine , it too was plumbed with a .01 wire into th fan shroud.

DSC08641.JPG

Here it is primed with Vallejo's Black Primer & a late addition were the 2 clamps on the Oil Bath Air filter, made from .01 wire.

DSC08644.JPG

DSC08647.JPG

DSC08648.JPG

I painted th Carb & throttle body in Poly-S railroad colors Faded Aluminium, The "Tins" were painted with Vallejo's German Grey (Model Air) , It was washed with Citadel's Gryphonne Sepia to give it that grimy fuel look .

I've started weathering th Pan ( under carriage) , not that it'll ever be seen , but I'll know it's there . I might be able to slip those in before th Panzer Shoppe closes for th evening !

Oooop :huh: ... Beer Trolly is coming .... Let's meet it at th Corner !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfQz4iknDxY

:erik

Nice engine. The painting really brings everything out. Good work on the wiring, it adds thatspecial something to the kit. (y) (y) (y) (y)
James

Hey Guys ,

Thanx for th kind words . Much appreciated !!

@ JAMES - Thanx brotha' !!

@BoB - Coming from you sir that's High praise ! I'm really glad that you liked it !! You & a couple of others have taught Me everything that I know !! :notworthy There's a few bits and pieces that could've gone on there .. but considering th scale. I'll save th other stuff for My Monster 1/9th scale Revell Kubel :woohoo:

@Jeeves - Thanx brotha' ... lucky charm on th front ? Is there one , I haven't noticed one.

Well here's a short update to th Pan ..... It's not like you'll ever see it in th Vignette ... but I'll know it's there ! any way ....

DSC08650.JPG
Here's th Pan shot in Vallejo's German Grey Primer , highlighted with German Grey ( Model Air ) + German Camo Beige. After that had dried I took some Ak Interactive's Dark Steel Pigment & applied it with an Eye Shadow applicator in a sort of Dry Brush fashion. Hittin' th high points .

DSC08651.JPG
Then it was time for some Wear & Tear . I took some of Ak's Grime for Yellow Vehicles & did a wash. After that had dried I took Their Track Rust & applied it to a few areas of th Pan. I also took some of MIG Productions Abtl Oil paint - Engine Grease & washed it around the Oil Plug & done th transmission. If you've ever owned a bug ( I had a '63 & '73) They seemed to leak , but once They got a lil' gunk built up it would seal ! It's a bit hard to see here, perhaps it's still wet ??
DSC08652.JPG

DSC08654.JPG

Well that's all for now .... It's time to finish up on th Body work, apply a few more of those Shiny Brass pieces th kids are talkin' about these days & then it'll be time to wrangle this Lil' Bugger into th Paint booth & then apply what th harshest Russian Winter dished out on this Kubel !!

:hmmm Is it too early to hit th Pub .... Nothing Ventured ... Nothing Gained !! :drinks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYaTdlK3A0A

:erik​

Wow,that's looking real good and some nice techniques also,keep it going.

You wouldnt be a Gerge Thorogood fan would you? One of my favorites,seen him many times including front row at the Allentown Fair

Yes Sir ! I Dig on 'Ol Lonesome George ! I think I've seen him about 5 times. Th 1st time was @ th Richmond Coliseum & that's before there were barriers for th Stage. I actually rested My arms on th Stage . He ended up shaking My Hand @ th end of th Show !! No Guitar picks though, which I'm a collector of !!

Ok...I'm a dork! Looking at it again I see it's a clip for the air filter cap. When I looked at it quick before, I thought about the horseshoes they used to put on the turret...but then again, why put a horseshoe on the engine. :java

Back