• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Kopro 1/48 Su-25K

jugjunkie

Well the Phantom is on a holding pattern awaiting decals from a very kind soul in the UK (nudge, nudge, wink, wink Ian) so I decided to unpack something that I have been meaning to get to for a very, very long time. First impressions are not too good. The surface detail is very soft and disappears in places and - reminds me a lot of early Italeri (ala Phantom). Fit seems to be OK'ish but I do foresee the need for some elbow grease ahead.

I started this one completely different to the usual cockpit. I was a bit perturbed by way everything goes together and I can see that the engine nacelles, wing, and engine internals are going to make for some fun. The engineering of this assembly is plain bloody daft. So after reading the instructions thoroughly and wrapping my head some potential issues I decided to deviate completely from the plan an instead of assembling the internal engine as a unit, I decided to assemble one half of the inlet onto the fuselage on both sides, and assemble the other half of the nacelle onto the wings. I opted to spray the engine intake with Alclad dark Aluminium at this stage.

I then sprayed the compressor blades in Alclad Durallium, and fitted them. Then I attached the second half of the engine and attached the wing section to the fuselage section and this worked out sort of OK....

At this stage I realised I should perhaps have assembled the engine section complete first and then attached it to the fuselage because now the fixing of the seam is going to a bit more difficult in-situ. At this point I saw the intake looked like crap and this is the way it is!!! There is nothing else to add!! Looking at Photos of the plane, the opening of the intakes are very rounded and not squared off as this is. Logic tells me that Kopro really should have made decent intake rings to be added at this stage to give that proper rounded effect but alas! So I had to create that by building up the lip with some plastic sprue and then sanding it to shape.

Just a comparative shot - original and reworked together...

and that's where we are at for now.

Well the Phantom is on a holding pattern awaiting decals from a very kind soul [strike]in the UK[/strike] (nudge, nudge, wink, wink Ian)

In Middle Zealand, and they went out to you the 22nd... Last decals I sent to the Dave bloke took around 10 working days, so you should see them at the weekend, matey.

Looking forward to the 'Frogfoot' not seen one of these built for a l-o-n-g time.

Ian.

Our postal service is up the creek Ian - typically African, so if you posted it on the 22nd, i'll start looking for them round about 22 of next month and again thank you.

Our postal service is up the creek Ian - typically African, so if you posted it on the 22nd, i'll start looking for them round about 22 of next month and again thank you.

Good save on the intakes . I have no idea what they were thinking with the square lipped intakes :idonno

I don't have much faith in the models manufactured in Easter Europe myself.

Cheers, Christian B)

Cheers, Christian

I thought the same, Christian, until I bought the 1:48 Zvezda La5FN - not a type that would normally interest me, but the reviews were unanimously 'glowing', so I took a chance.

It is simply outstanding, so much so that when I come to build it, it's going to have the bench to itself and my complete, undivided attention. All that said, I really would like an Su25 in my stash, there's some seriously outlandish camo & markings out there, (especially via Linden Hill Decals).

Ian.

I would lie if I said I was impressed with this kit. I think Kopro make great subjects and they have a huge amount of surface detail there (more than most I would say) but the quality is crap. I have recently heard about the new stuff Zvesda are producing and I think I need to check it out. I had an older Zvesda Su 30 some time back and it was rubbish so I have tended to avoid the brand but I think i'll check them out again.

Anyway.....I turned my attention to the stores on the Su-25 and again, not impressive. Starting with the rocket launchers. They are simple 3 piece affairs and after glueing the two haves of the main body together, it was apparent that here again I would need to expend a bit of effort to make them half acceptable.

That's it - just an empty tube! The actual pod has a baffle plate at the rear which is a bear minimum for goodness sake KOPRO!! It would be so easy to create a small round plastic bit with a few holes in it!!! So first step is to thin out the rear section and properly define the surface details and holes - lots of holes!

The front housing also benefits from a visit by the finger drill....

Stay tuned......

Cheers, Christian

I thought the same, Christian, until I bought the 1:48 Zvezda La5FN - not a type that would normally interest me, but the reviews were unanimously 'glowing', so I took a chance.

It is simply outstanding, so much so that when I come to build it, it's going to have the bench to itself and my complete, undivided attention. All that said, I really would like an Su25 in my stash, there's some seriously outlandish camo & markings out there, (especially via Linden Hill Decals).

Ian.

I hope you're right .

As you have probably guessed by now 1/48 is not my plastic of choice.

For sure some Eastern European manufacturers are more advanced than others . I have read a lot of reviews on the VVS and I can't remember any that were glowing .

Still , their subject are interesting. What is a modeler to do but sand and cuss, sand and cuss :frantic

Cheers, Christian B)

Well Geoff judging by the thickness of those pieces there will be more struggles ahead .

Somewhere I have some pictures of a beautifully modeled diorama with a Frogfoot but I don't remember who's kit it is.

I hope you will see this to a satisfactory conclusion.

Cheers, Christian B)

Back