• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Komet madness continues...

matrixone

Here is my fourth Me 163 Komet of the year, in this case its the 1/48 scale Testors/HAWK kit. This kit is very basic, its low in detail and wrong in overall shape compared to modern kits but the molds for this one were made in the very early 1960s so I can't really expect too much from this model and its still just as much fun to paint as a modern kit.

No, its not a Komet in a Zebra camouflage pattern...the model shows its base coat has been sprayed on as well as the pre-shading. Almost all of the pre-shading will be covered up by a coat of RLM 76 leaving just a hint of it still showing. Pre-shading is an easy way to add some depth to the otherwise bland RLM 76 painted sides and undersurfaces.
403020114.jpg

403020113.jpg

Matrixone

Thanks guys!

The pre-shading done on this model is almost all the weathering this one will get, Komets were well cared for by the ground crew and did not get too dirty.

Matrixone

Here you can see I sprayed on the first of the two uppersurface colors, in this case its the RLM 82 green from the Xtracolor line of enamel paints. Xtracolor paints are really easy to work with and the only drawback to them is they take about a full day to dry so if you are in a hurry to paint a multi colored camo scheme on a model this would not be a good paint to use.

403073044.jpg

403073041.jpg

The RLM 82 green was painted last Friday so it was 100% dry and I just finished painting on the RLM 81 a few minutes ago, I might have some pics of how it turned out later today.

Matrixone

Thanks guys,
Here are two pics showing the model after the RLM 81 was sprayed on this morning. The RLM 81 is a custom mix made from Model Master paints and is a flat color and it looks pretty strange right now compared to the high gloss RLM 82 and is not as light as it appears in these pics, after the final clear flat coat is sprayed on the colors will look like they should.
403077401.jpg

403077402.jpg

Next up for this model is masking off the tip of the nose and spraying it red.

Matrixone

For masking the nose I will be using thin curved strips of Tamiya tape, I did a similar thing when I painted the noses on the two 1/72 scale and 1/100 scale Komets. After the red is painted on I will be hand painting the narrow white stripe that borders the red.

Matrixone

Thanks Terry!

The tip of the nose has been painted on and the model also has its coat of Future sprayed on and will get its decals put on tomorrow. This one might be finished by Friday but getting pictures of it might take a while longer to do because we are still getting December type of weather here.

Matrixone

The decals are now on, next will be a pin wash of oil paints on the control surfaces and a few select panels.

403116529.jpg

In this pic below you get an idea of just how effective the mottled camouflage could be...even at close range the Komet blends in well with the background. (y)
403116530.jpg

Matrixone

Back