• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

JUMO BF 109

I have to admire your persistence! Really, do yourself a favour and go search for a Classic Airframes 109 A series, if you get one I will join you in a mini buddy build!!

Cheers!

Thanks for your invitation Phil but frankly I have so many builds in line :frantic :frantic :frantic that I find it difficult to think about building something out of scale that I'll have to hunt for.

I have spotted several 1/48 builds on ARC and that is where my inspiration is coming from . Looks like nice kits.

This one is actually coming along nicely now that I am past the radiator intake.

Found some time to start painting this week.

This where I was last night but I could not post since the site was down.

BF_109_paint_002a.jpg

Today, I managed to wrangle the other colors on it plus a coat of Future.

BF_109_paint_003a.jpg

I think it will look quite respectable with some decals and some flat paint !

Thanks for looking . Cheers, Christian B)

Chris I am sure you enjoy making such beautifull planes from utter humble material

Looking good

Dave, this is actually a pretty good model once you get past the couple stumbling blocks.

That is if you like 1/72 :blink . I'm sure as Phil stated in 1/48 would be better but most things are :good:

Just what size I started the collection in .

Cheers, Christian B)

I was lucky enough to apply the main decals today. I hope for more tomorrow.

BF_109_D2_paint_001a.jpg

Thanks for looking . Cheers, Christian B)

Always interest just sometimes we fail to post. Looks good Chris, looks like it's ready to be dirtied up. :soldier

Thanks dave and Sherman . I thought this scheme was a bit more colorful than the rest of the early 109's

I finally added the rest of the decals

BF_109D_decals_001a.jpg

and while comparing the model , I noticed a couple of blunders.

The first was that I overlooked this tiny cooler . Didn't like the kit one , so I found this and modified it to resemble the real one.

BF_109D_caution_001a.jpg

and then , I realized that the manufacturer totally overlooked this air intake on the fuselage and once again had to modify a piece of plastic to resemble this air scoop :S Darn, but they are small. :S

Finally, painted the red warning markings.

BF_109D_caution_003a.jpg

Guess I'm ready for some pin washes. :snoopy

Thanks for looking . Cheers, Christian

Always interest just sometimes we fail to post. Looks good Chris, looks like it's ready to be dirtied up. :soldier

Hard to tell from here Bob . Some airplanes don't draw as much interest as some of the others.

The 109's prior to the E model seem to fall in that category :idonno

Of course I'm usually on my own road, so who's to tell if I don't have a visual to go by :blink

Cheers, Christian B)

Well it seems that as we get closer to Christmas, no one is posting. I'm guessing you are all trying to wrangle one more present from Saint Nick during the last moments.

On the other , I've been wrestling with this build and have nothing good at all to say about it. It's a bear :vmad

I have however made a bit of progress .

None of the kit parts for the prop came with holes to identify the center, so that my best guess was still too far off to be any good.

Therefore I made a new backing plate and machined it down.

BF_109_D_problems_001a.jpg

Next, the prop was too big for the cover, so once again I had to modify . The blades were cut off and the boss was modified .

BF_109_D_problems_002a.jpg

Can't say all that modifying came out great but it fits, even though the boss is a bit short now :pinch:

BF_109_D_problems_005a.jpg

Next , was the transparencies for the cockpit .

BF_109_D_problems_008a.jpg

The front and rear pieces went on reasonably but strangely the center piece no longer fits, so I I Vac-u-formed another and shaved off the ends :bang head

BF_109_D_problems_004a.jpg

After plumbing and painting all the gear part, I noticed that the axles are way too small for the wheels so it was necessary to plug the holes and drill them back out .

BF_109_D_problems_007a.jpg

Before installing the fiddly bits I decided to remove the exhaust from the pour blocks and of course they don't fit either :S

BF_109_D_problems_009a.jpg

Think I'll just go to the gym before this thing is launched on a Kamikaze mission against the garbage can :vmad

Is this really an OBB ? :frantic Cheers, Christian B)

Back