• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

John Bowrey Figure Campaign

I think I can do this. I just got a new figure that I've been waiting for since early Jan. Himini's new 75mm Ottoman Sipahi from the 15 to 16 Century.

he8e599b.JPG

h49a0c76.JPG

James

I'M new here, but I'd like to submit this figure. It's a 1/10th bust of a US inf c. 1846 during the Mexican American war. I sculpted it out of sprue and am in the process of painting it.

DSC00468.JPG
DSC00468.JPG
DSC00468.JPG

Indeed, Sir!
Just a suggestion...

How about a re-work of the "watch your Figure" campaign? Remove the eyes and maybe change the colour??

:hmmm
"Watch You Figure" seem very appropriate these days! "Covid Spread" applies to how much weight we gain while isolating as well, Yes? I'm sure any ribbon you devise will be brilliant!

He looks very dapper, would like to know more about your process, please? 🐱
Here is a link to the basic how to on reworking sprue

Wow
1590254462937.png

Very resourceful and excellent recycling. But that toaster oven looks like it's been through it! :rotf

I thought since Yankee Doodle Pigeon is a sort of a figure, I might post the progress here, rather than filling up the 2021 Surgeon thread with silly project photos.
That being said, Here's how Mike's requested bird is progressing.
IMG_E7526.JPG

Being unsure what scale Mike's Dick Dastardly model is, there will be 2 Pigeons. One larger one, posed as fleeing the clutches of the Vulture Squadron with his message pouch and a second, smaller version just poking along in the air. Both will be posed in flight with their landing gear retracted. Plastic and Milliput master parts are underway.
IMG_E7529.JPG
Yankee Doodle had a cartoonish looking flying helmet on his noggin. His head is the most complex part to make.
Punching out styrene googles for the helmet proved interesting. The slivers of brass tube looked really cool but proved to overscale (?!?) for this birdie's head.
IMG_E7531.JPG
I went with the smaller plastic googles. The round circles from the Waldron punch set will work dandy for the sides of the goofy helmet. Obviously these need more finesse before molding begins. Today, we're in the midst of another Iowa blizzard. You never know what else may happen!!

Thanks for looking in!!

I would have thought up something equally ridiculous to make if Mike hadn't asked for a pigeon. Like the octagonal, tapered St. David's lighthouse I swore I would never make. :bang head
It seems if I don't have at least 6 little bitty masters going, my addled bwain seems unfulfilled.
God alone knows if any of them will make TLAR any money.
On to the pictures! IMG_E7532.JPGIMG_E7533.JPG
The plastic wings needed some detail underneath. My hope was they will look cartoonish enough for Yankee Doodle and cast well. His head is done. I didn't drill the "nostrils" on top of his beak. I made 2 courier pouches and one was way too big. IMG_E7534.JPGIMG_E7535.JPG

I attached his scarf to his body. I made it out of used coffee filter. Some feathery texture was added to the still soft 11-year-old Milliput. I haven't decided what to make his little bugle out of yet. Yankee Doodle Pigeon turns out to be a kit of his own. Being unsure about copyright and licensing, I hesitate to offer His kit for sale. I am NOT a Communist. Plus that saves me writing instructions an doing box art. :yipee:
When I make some more stuff to fill out the 250cc soufflé' cup mold, I'll pour the RTV.

Thanks for looking in!

Last edited:
Hey! I wish to state that even though my John Bowrey Figure campaign fizzled out, I wish no disrespect to John, his talent, His friends or his memory. The idea was to honor John, even though I didn't know him personally.
There was a prize. There still is!
I can not apologize enough if any offense was taken.

I can not apologize enough if any offense was taken.
Yeah...uh I don't know how anyone could be offended.

The only reason I haven't jumped in this is I have no skills in figure modeling. The line about "man has to know his limitations" would apply to me.
But I do have a figurine thing that I was going to repaint a long time ago, it's premiered right now.

Chris start a new thread here for your Yankee Doodle Pigeon, I'll move the post to that thread. I'll dust off my Sea Captain and see if I can get motivated to paint.

IMG_E7548.JPG

I figured out how to scratch build a bugle for Mike's pigeon. It is oddly 1/35 in appearance. One more bit for the ever-expanding Wehrmacht stowage set! All the Pigeon parts are ready to mold.

IMG_E7562.JPG

HA!! Ever' now an' agin' A blind hog finds an acorn! Nothing left to do now, but solder up the copper wire bird legs and feet! The Bad News Bubbles didn't make any difference in Yankee Doodle Pigeon's mold!
Praise the Lord and pass the soldering rig!!

Thanks for all your support and attention!!

Thanks Men!
Ok, see the little 30 gallon cask? What if, bear with me here, Yankee Doodle Pigeon had a decoy? What if the decoy had Dick Dastardly looking wings and tailfeathers? A pumpkin for a head with a carrot nose and wooden legs? What if the barrel was labeled "TNT" with a fuse? What if Yankee Doodle could operate his decoy remotely?

See where I'm going with this? :hmm:

The Yankee Doodle Drone Decoy Pigeon Bomb?! Intercept Dick Dastardly and Muttley and blow the dog-snot (?!) out of whatever they were flying at the time?! 💥BOOM!!💥
THAT I would have to market?
Your thoughts Friends?

Back