• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Joe's 1/72 RoG Type VIIC

Yes, this kit does take a bit of work- but it can come out nicely. Here's my humble effort- U-69

U-69 2

Bow_02.jpg

Thats is a very nice build, Chuk. The weathering just looks right.

Here are a few more picture of my battle. I started assembling the deck and the AA Guns. So far every small thin part that I try to take of the sprue breaks. No matter what method I try. I also had to to take out the forward bulkhead that holds the torpedo tubes. Otherwise I would have ended up with a 1/8" gap between the hull halves. I but will not let this sub defeat me like convoy ship. I will prevail.

But I must say that I was very surprised how well the deck fitted.

Joe

IMG_0862.jpg

IMG_0861.jpg

IMG_0863.jpg

IMG_0864.jpg

IMG_0865.jpg

Joe,

Whenever I have a problem like you mention, I use a razor saw and cut well away from the part. It is better to cut away and then file/sand a nub that try to cut close to a part crushing/tearing/gouging said part in the process.

UMM-USA sells these and they work very well...

They also sell stepSanders too which I use all the time to remove nubs:

You can click the images to see the sale page. After investing in this model, it is worth having the correct tools so as not to get frustrated with the build.

Regards,

Saul, I use a PE saw to cut delicate parts. But in the case of the sub, it doesn't help thise time either. The plastic is very brittle.

IMG_0866.jpg

Hi Joe,

The brittle plastic is the reason to use the razor saw I linked to as it is super fine as opposed to the one shown in your post.

The only other technique I have used, but only as a last resort, is a hot knife.

Regards,

Well, my Mojo is slowly coming back. Don't have any pics yet but started to fill seams and sand on das Boot.

Joe

Back