• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Italeri Pak 38

stitch_83

Evening folks,

After gettin so many kits dug out from the depths of my "to finish" pile and nearly done (STAP, Buccaneer, Mirage, AC-47, Me262) , I thought I'd treat myself to starting a new one.

It's nothing fancy, just a kit to "break" the dribbly finishes of my others, no complexity, no surprises! Oh yeah and its my first build log from the start, so please be gentle!!! ::)

Anyway, less talky more piccy...

The obligatory box-shot

DSC_0003Pak38Box.jpg

Sprues (they look awfully like old Tamiya sprues)

DSC_0004Pak381.jpg

Gona have to do something about this...

DSC_0005Pak381.jpg

lucky it's the second layer of armour, so not on full show
--------------------------------------------------------
So after just about an hour's work, mostly involving Mr Swann-Morton, Mr P1200 wet & dry and Mr needle file, we have this: -

2 trails, 1 slidy thing for under the barrel (I forget the technical term) and 1 chassis

DSC_0006Pak381.jpg

Which translates into this, something vaguely Pak-looking

DSC_0007Pak381.jpg

All in all it looks like a half-decent kit, although it has more flash than a Jaguar owner's club meeting in a camera shop :cool: it's nothing some shaving and sanding can't handle.

As usual, comments & crit welcome.

Stitch

Here's an update.

Smoothed off the wheels with the trusty lathe method

DSC_0003Pak382.jpg

and got a few other fiddly bits together. Trails are done (these handles were a pain to locate), the gun barrel is drying, the cradle that holds the barrel is done and cleaned up and the shield is almost done.

DSC_0006Pak382.jpg

And test-fitted, we have something vaguely Pak shaped (forgive the location of the shield, it slipped before I took the photos...
DSC_0004Pak382.jpg

DSC_0005Pak382.jpg

Next on the list is cleaning up the barrel and then probably some primer :)

Stitch

Thanks StuG, I've since primed it and started to drill out the wheels (the bits between the spokes are meant to be bare...

stitch_83 wrote:
...the bits between the spokes are meant to be bare...

Actually, they're not. The wheels came in different patterns and the one in the kit are correct.
Pak38_parola_2.jpg

At Parola ^ note the ten spokes have a connecting skin between them.

Of course, there are others where the 8 spokes are bare like the example at Camp Borden:
800px-Pak38_cfb_borden_2.JPG

Regards,

Oh bugger!!! Thanks Saul! Ah well ya live and learn! I found that photo without the skin and didnt realise there were 2 types of wheel :(

Update.
Just over 5 hours build time and she's got some Panzergrau on... Trusty Tamiya XF63 with trusty cheap Chinese airbrush. No major issues with this kit, fit is dead on and as long as one checks the instructions, no difficulty in working out what goes where... even the 4 seperate shield braces are really well fitted. Good value for under £5. .

Photos: -

DSC_0003Pak383.jpg

DSC_0004Pak383.jpg

Went down ok I think. Comments welcome as always...

Stitch

I think it went down well too!

Where are you located? I mounted my PaK38 & PaK97 on vehicles so I believe I can spare some wheels as I see you are quite happy with everything. I certainly don't want you not showing the kit love because of one small oversight.

Regards,

Saul I'm in Scotland so I'd be happy to give you what you wish for the wheels if the postage is not cost prohibitive. I have no idea what it would be, I gather you're in USA? Either way many thanks for the offer, true gentleman

Don't thank me yet! I still need to find them. I found a set of white metal ones (Hinchcliffe Models or Special Operations Group) but am still looking for the Dragon ones. I can post a photo of the metal ones. Yours for the asking.

Regards,

If you find any I'd be grateful for them.. I'd rather this was accurate but if you can't find them don't worry about it. I wouldnt mind seeing a photo in the mean time!

Thanks
Stuart

while waiting for the wheels mk2 i would add a thin coat of darkened xf-63 with a tint of blue to some recessed spots to add some depth to the paintjob!

your clean build would surely deserve it and benefit from it!

stitch_83 wrote:
although it has more flash than a Jaguar owner's club meeting in a camera shop...

Hehehehe, I finally got that! Last weekend, I went to a scenic mountain (lookout tower at Bear Mountain, NY) where two guys brought their cars. One was a brand new orange Lotus. Ugly little bug but so many people stopped to take photos!

My favorite was the 1972 Ferrari 308 Dino that few even looked at. Except for a father telling his son it was a DeLorean from the movie Back to the Future. The only thing both cars had in common was the metallic finish!

However, when I find an extra $75000USD (hey, it is on sale now):
newstuff324.jpg

Regards,

Saul, PM sent. Lotus cars are very much form following function, ugly things bit hold the road like it's a railway track! Although the Esprit is rather nice!! At only $75K why don't you have two of those Ferraris (360 aint it?) haha

Kreigshoer, thanks for the tip, I'll switch to the precision AB and see what I can rustle up. :woohoo:

Stuart

Found two sets of wheels from the Dragon kits:
DragonPaK38Wheels.jpg

The extra pair can allow you to try adding the tread lines (place a hobby saw at the correct height within a book and spin the wheels against it). Or you can use a third wheel for the 'castoring wheel'...

Use the Aber instructions as a guide to make it:
http://aber.net.pl/pdf/0c2d84c02366449628cd1d458b1ef544.pdf

The four wheels are now packed, just looking for an envelope and then off to the post office on Monday.

Regards,

stitch_83 wrote:
... those Ferraris (360 aint it?)

The envelope was picked up by the postman.

That was a 2002 Ferrari 575. I think it looks like a silver shark, no wonder I liked it so much!

Some more photos of this beauty:

newstuff325.jpg

newstuff326.jpg

newstuff327.jpg

newstuff328.jpg

newstuff329.jpg

Regards,

Excellent Saul, many thanks for your generosity.

I've had a look at the Aber page you linked. I have a castor wheel in the kit but I am undecided about whether I will build this to be on the move or stationary...

I think you're right about that car - definitely shark-like!

Update - Got the camo done, chipping, gloss coating and a wash...

DSC_0006Pak384.jpg

DSC_0007Pak384.jpg

DSC_0003Pak384.jpg

DSC_0004Pak384.jpg

The wash doesnt really show up in the photos but it's nice & subtle in reality. I'm waiting on a replacement set of wheels since I mistakingly drilled out the skin in between the spokes. Other than that, it'll be matt coat, pastels and done!

Comments welcome!

Stitch

Back