• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Is this thing on?

ausf

Master at Arms
I think I'm finally back. I've been getting some bench time or at least cleaning and setting it up to work. It's been a long slog, between the pandemic, my oldest graduating and getting him settled, my youngest globetrotting with school (he's living like a Bond villain for the next 2 months, flying all around to shipyards in the Caribbean, diving in his downtime). With the oldest out of the house, I finally got some space and picked up a new 3D printer. It prints so well compared to my old machine, I got interested in giving digital sculpting a try and am glad I did. Without even knowing what the hell I was doing, I pushed a sphere around for about an hour and came up with this:

f4.jpg

It's far from a finished sculpt, I need to learn the software, but holy smokes is it easier than pushing clay around. And then hit print and 6 hours later it's in my hand. Amazing times.

I've also got the bug to do some animation and set up a motion control system, so now I have to make some models to film. The first will be the Discovery from 2001.

Anyway, I'll be around more often, checking out the work and catching up with you guys.

Pup, I didn't forget about the Bogart fig, but really don't know when I'll get back to traditional sculpting. A lot of my materials have gone belly up in the interim, as well as committing to it. I haven't cat resin in almost 2 years now (I can't believe it's been so long).

Great to have you back and that looks loike a great sculpt after only an hour of learning. I have been thinking of doing a course in Zbrush as I already habe the beginners book.

Awesome. I wish I had a modicum of talent to do something like that. Looking forward to more.
James

Pup, I didn't forget about the Bogart fig, but really don't know when I'll get back to traditional sculpting. A lot of my materials have gone belly up in the interim, as well as committing to it. I haven't cat resin in almost 2 years now (I can't believe it's been so long).
Not to worry Jeff, everything is on hold for me also. Building out a new shop.
But get your digital scalpel sharp as I still want Bogie for my Lullubelle and with that fancy new 3d printer you should be able to pop him out like a star trek replicator right??? :rotf

Great to have you back and that looks loike a great sculpt after only an hour of learning. I have been thinking of doing a course in Zbrush as I already habe the beginners book.
This is ZBrushCore. I have the ZBrush beginners book too, a lot translates to Core. I grabbed the free Core mini and after about 20 minutes realized this was the way to go, so I bought the ZBC license. I'm not into subscriptions since I tend to pickup and put things down for a while, so next month I might be working with Affinity Designer or Dragonframe and not touch ZBC for months.

I'll probably get the full version eventually, not sure if the extra $800 is worth it yet, Core is pretty customizable and I'm only in it for the Sculpt/print as of now, not for painting.

Not to worry Jeff, everything is on hold for me also. Building out a new shop.
But get your digital scalpel sharp as I still want Bogie for my Lullubelle and with that fancy new 3d printer you should be able to pop him out like a star trek replicator right??? :rotf
If I had a resin printer, yes.

It's astounding, sculpt and then scale it however you want. My buddy has been after me to get a resin printer for a while, he does amazing stuff with it (Does the props for TV, lately HisDark Materials), like cowl flap actuators for a 1/48 F4U, so a 1/35 fig would not be out of the question. I just haven't seen the need with my limited ability to work in CAD and all the previous tries with some digital sculpting like Blender wasn't worth the effort. Resin printers are high maintenance, but just maybe that's the next bit of gear. instead of course, the lathe...

The game has changed.

Glad to hear from you again Jeff.
Wow! You have a better grasp on using that program than some folks.
I've tried a few over the years and couldn't wrap my head around it, so I fully understand. Zbrush is truly just like working in clay. It's freaky at first, but actually easy when you just let go and do it. Absolutely maddening to learn the proper way because there is a lot going on, but once a few rules and shortcuts are absorbed it's a real pleasure. Things I've read tend to say if you're coming from other software, you'll be confused, but since I have no background to influence me I'm okay.

Welcome back Jeff, you have been missed! So glad to see you back. i envy you being able to work those programs. When I looked into them my brain shut down. Too scary for my brain I guess....

Back