• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Iron Mike's T-34/85 Berlin Build

Iron Mike

Master At Arms And Resident Curmudgeon
This has been a project I have looked forward to for a long time and with a little help from my friends, it just may get done!

img_3315_20100804_1447687926.jpg

img_3316_20100804_1688191961.jpg

img_3319_20100804_1190986263.jpg

The kit has had great reviews, comes with the PE and metal barrel AND Magic Tracks. After conversations with Joey, I'll be adding some PE instead of scratch building the extras I had in mind. The paint scheme is still under consideration and doing much research to fit this build. Thanks for looking, please come back! Comments always welcome!! :D

Iron mike if you are interested I have abouit 150 or 160 walkaround pics of a t-34/85 from the interior all the way to the casting numbers on the road wheels.... just let me know.

Thank you to all for the build up! Modelguru, I'd love to see those walk arounds, PM me and let me know, please. Look what was waiting for me when I got home today!

img_3322_20100805_1396423701.jpg

I plan to add the anti-Panzerfaust shields and Joey suggested the Voyager set. I was planning to scratch build them, but this looks like the saner route! :laugh: Getting ready to crack open the box! :woohoo:

Those are nice looking shields ......a little fyi the shields commonly referred too as bed spring armor were more often than not ...... not bed springs they were field improvised from whatever expanded metal that could be found .......no matter how clean the tank is the springs should be heavily rusted which will provide alot of eye candy with rust streaks.
Build on bra.

Re:Iron Mike's T-34/85 Berlin Build UPDATE

Thank you, friends!! After reading the review from Perth Military Modeling Site http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/reviews/vehicles/dragon/dr6319.htm(thanks, Joey!, I finally started the basic construction. Dragon includes a photo etched screen and frame for the engine intake cover, so I had to remove the moulded in screen.

img_3390_20100810_1956667816.jpg

The Dragon photo etch is really soft, so it is easily bent in places you don't want! :(
I did manage to get the screen and frame to conform to the cover :laugh:

img_3394_20100810_1330260358.jpg

Having the review really helped out, as it pointed out several omissions and pitfalls, one being the lack of the intake louvers that would be noticed through the newly opened screen. I built a set from styrene and brass wire.

img_3391_20100810_2025514407.jpg

img_3392_20100810_1478017053.jpg

img_3397_20100810_1395113443.jpg

I have moved on to the fuel drums, but the PE straps are requiring more patience and time than I have today! :blink Thanks for looking, any comments/suggestions always welcome! :D

Great work so far Mike!! It's these little details that make a model really stand out. Keep it up.

Terry ;)

mike check your e-mail I sent those walkaround pics of the t-34 I have a bunch of interior pics too if those will help

Chris, I got the pix, thanks a million! Thanks you, Terry! I always appreciate your feedback! (y)

Thank you, Bob! Quite a compliment from the SC Brass Master! (y)

Great work Mike , that big mesh screen is prone to digs and ripped so do not worry about it at all . The louvers look mighty fine too . coming togethere real well ;) .

Have you got a etch mate or similar to bend the bed spring armour ?

Jenny :kiss:

jenny croft wrote:
Great work Mike , that big mesh screen is prone to digs and ripped so do not worry about it at all . The louvers look mighty fine too . coming togethere real well ;) .

Have you got a etch mate or similar to bend the bed spring armour ?

Jenny :kiss:

Thank you, Jenny! I do have an Etchmate 3C, it works pretty well for what I do, although I've considered buying one of the square metal units,I have to admit I can't recall which one that is. :blush: I've seen it used in various articles and it looked like it would be better for smaller parts. Can anyone fill me in on that?

Mike I picked up a set of smooth jaw pliers from, of all places, a scrap book shop. It's made for those beading and jewelery making. I'm finding that I use it more than the hold-n-fold. But back in the day of the Lion Roar Halftrack I only had a set of pliers. That's all.

One of these days, I need to make a pilgrimage to Greenwood to have a PE lesson! What I need more than another tool is a dose of patience!!! :laugh:

Beer helps...to get to Greenwood..

Lesson from me? HA! we'll trade ideas is what will happen. Come on down...we're awaitin'... :mpup

Another bending tool I use more than my hold and fold is a good set of tweezers. They were $25.00 and came from the cosmetic department. The're flat and smooth and perfext for all the small parts.

DSC01315.jpg

The red ones just above the sanding pad.

James

Back