• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

I just bought my first airbrush compressor

The only moving part is the fan with a magnet hooked to it. Switching inside is hall effect which is solid state. Basically a high speed stepper motor. No brushes, no contacts, no sparks. Have used these for over 20 years and no problems. Spray mostly enamels too.

I tried the 12VDC versions and they didn't move enough air. Basically the same thing though only designed for 120 VAC.

This is the smaller motor I recently bought for dust removal when grinding resin.

h179295b.JPG

www.ebay.com/itm/DAYTON-1TDN9-Blower-75-cfm-115V-0-50A-2950-rpm-/221562562979?hash=item33962869a3

Mounted right into the bench, with no enclosure it pulls all dust within about a square foot, bending the stream off of the dremel. It would certainly work as a booth motor, it's probably larger than what's on most commercially sold hobby booths.

Here's the bench photo, the small round on the right in the orange bump out is that motor for dust. The other side is my spray booth/vacuum chamber with the 350 cfm blower. That motor moves your hair. :D

hb596f80_2015-09-16.jpg

They're quiet enough that I can easily forget to turn them off. The larger one is in a plenum with a divider, the smaller one is quiet by nature.

The only downside, especially the larger one, is they need to be fed with fresh air, so a window has to be cracked elsewhere in the house. I open one on the opposite end of the attic, but if I'm working for an hour under the hood when it's minus 8 outside, you start to feel it. If I don't crack the window, I'll smell the dog's farts from 3 floors down. :D

Okay, I'm now in booth building mode. I was already thinking of re-purposing a spare bin from the garage, and your info told me what kind of motor/fan to look for. I really had no idea on that front.

I suspect I went way over my needs, but it was a good deal within my budget. I just hope the thing isn't too loud. I neglected to think of that until after I got it. It's less than a foot long, so hopefully it won't be too bad.

They're quiet enough that I can easily forget to turn them off. The larger one is in a plenum with a divider, the smaller one is quiet by nature.

The only downside, especially the larger one, is they need to be fed with fresh air, so a window has to be cracked elsewhere in the house. I open one on the opposite end of the attic, but if I'm working for an hour under the hood when it's minus 8 outside, you start to feel it. If I don't crack the window, I'll smell the dog's farts from 3 floors down. :D

Sounds like the same issue we had in the restaurant world. Get the big fans pulling out the smoke from the grills you have to have makeup air to replace it, otherwise you're going to suck out all that nice airconditioned air in the dining room, or heat in your case.

Jeff you could get one of those duct heaters one of our sister companies makes.
http://www.tutco.com/convection_heaters/duct_heaters/
vent in some outside air, turn the heater on while your fan is sucking out the bad air.

That's a neat blower, I never saw that type before, it should install easy enough. If you mount it in the high back or top, you won't need a cover. At a half amp, it won't pose any issues in terms of cost or circuitry. Once you get the fan you can go tho the nearest Home Depot or Lowes and piece together a way to duct it. Grab a roll of aluminum HVAC tape, it's amazingly strong for fabricating and setting/sealing up the joints. Another point would be plan on keeping the duct run as short as possible and straight (avoid the ribbed type) as it improves flow and cuts down on noise and back pressure.

Bob, thanks for the link. I found out the hard way on makeup air, the 350 fan would pull from the chimney through the water heater flue if no other source was open. From the basement, up to the third floor. :S

Since my shop is a converted attic, I close the entry door and open the window at the opposite end, so the heat from the house isn't affected. And I have forced air with a duct under the bench so it's no too bad unless I'm really running for a long time. If it's really cold out, the furnace is cycling often so it's still relatively comfortable. It's mostly the back of the neck as the artic blast blows by. :D

Dog farts! :rotf

Mine doesn't move that much air, but it will push the bad stuff out. If I spray for a while you can smell it in the room a tiny bit. Usually what I do is paint for a bit then take a break and leave the room with the fans running. Give it a few minutes and it clears even the slight smell out.

Many years ago I was doing a major amount of painting in a closed room, left the room for a few minutes and then came back and it was FOGGY! :blink

Next day I put together a real simple version of what I have now (had the parts but no money) It worked quite well so I have stuck with it.

Any ventilation is good, the more the better.

The larger fan is overkill, I can hold the AB parallel to it and spray and the stream will bend eventually into a right angle.
I need to move large volumes when casting resin. There's an isocynate in urethane resin that bonds so quickly with atmospheric moisture, it becomes an inert crust. It's not a problem, a simple wet filter will trap it as long as that simple wet filter isn't the lining of your lungs (there's no respirator that will protect from it since it's not an organic vapor). So I need to make sure there's positive airflow past me head. :D

This is the airbrush booth I have. I purchased it before I had a dedicated space. Now, it is on my work bench ducted outside. When you do duct outside, make sure your get some kind of vent cover to keep the critters from getting in.

When it comes to airbrushes, I love my Grex Tritium.TS.

Hey guys. Meesa back! :yipee

I have not been idol, though not much until recently as far as actual progress.
I recently completed building my spraybooth, and it works great.
What I did was I got one of the cheap folding ones online, then took out the big PC cooling fan it has in the back and put in my blower I got. It was a weird fit given that the shape was not meant for this kind of thing. It does what I want it to though.

Here is the inside once completed.

Here's what the inside looks like without the filters.

Here it is from the back with the scrap piece I used to hold the power switch in place.

And here's the vent in the back closer up. The long design of the blower made it necessary to block off the parts that weren't actually within the exhaust.

It ain't pretty, but it moves air like nobody's business!

I'm glad it works.

It doesn't look like you've ducted it in anyway since it's in the box, but keep in mind if the brushed motor is still in the same area as the moving air, you still run the risk of ignition. The idea of the squirrel cage is that the air movement and motor are completely isolated from each other.

You're okay if you're spraying water based acrylics, but I'd stay away from anything flammable.

Yeah you're going to still need to duct that stinky air out of the room some how. Like that fan though! :popcorn

Go to the local hardware store and get you a high end air filter and a carbon filter for a hood range. Cut a piece of air filter for the front and put the carbon filter in the back. Before we moved in to our current residence, I would airbrush right next to my wife in our little cabin. She said she never smelled a thing.

I tried an air filter on my built paint booth and it loaded up rather quickly. Also with the fans I have it cut down on the air flow so I finally just pulled the filter. Paint builds up on the fans and plastic ducting I use, but not to a great extent.
Periodically I just give the fan blades a good cleaning but then I am using 120 VAC brushless instrument fans so the blades aren't that hard to clean off.

I do have a duct for it to go out the window, I just don't have it in the pics.
I'll have to look at the aspect of isolating the fan. I do use Vallejo acrylics, so flammability isn't an issue thus far.

Go to the local hardware store and get you a high end air filter and a carbon filter for a hood range. Cut a piece of air filter for the front and put the carbon filter in the back. Before we moved in to our current residence, I would airbrush right next to my wife in our little cabin. She said she never smelled a thing.

Without venting outside? :blink

Back