• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

How do you Painting tank tools?

rigger

Hello all;

Looking for tips in painting Tank tools. I piant them Black or Steel, using Tamiya and Modelmaster. Then I put a wash of Rust. It does not look right.

Any pointers..... Thanks Rigger .....

Hey, Rigger

I've always given them a basecoat of flat black, followed by a drybushing of metal. I've never tried to give them a rusty appearance because, depending upon the climate, it would take forever and a day for them to rust. Not to mention, they're probably being continually used for this, that and the other thing. Military vehicles operating in the field require a great deal of daily maintenance, especially tracked vehicles.
However, they will collect plenty of dust if they're attached to the outside of the vehicle. So, I usually drybrush a bit of earth brown, again, depending on the theatre of operations, or apply a liberal amount of the appropriate color of pastel chalk thats been ground into a powder.

Peace and Love,
DioRandy

Dont forget sometimes tools were over painted with the Hull colour whatever that may be during quick field repainting jobs

I usually try and do that to mine and then paint/chip the paint off and then use the metalic colours or wood colours for the ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm wood ! :)

RIGGER,

I'm not sure what type of Armor you build , but The German's were meticulous & they removed Their tools when Painting, Be it at th Factory of in th Field. Now When it comes to painting the Wooden Handles -

1) I'll base coat with Tamiya's Wooden Deck Tan

2) I'll take some Burnt Umber( put it on a piece of Corrugated Cardboard**) & place small dots in a Vertical row on th handles - let stand for about 15-20 minutes. Then I'll take an Eye Shadow applicator ( I found a multi-pack in th Cosmetic section @ Target) & lightly drag th dots in either a North or South direction toward the head of the tool or toward th bottom of th Handle. It really gives it that Wood Grain look. Let stand for a Couple of Days to dry !!

The Shovel heads & sledge Hammer & th like I'll hit with Falt Black & Dry brush with Gun Metal, making sure it collects on th tips of th tools !

** corrugated Cardboard removes th majority of the Lintseed Oil, thus giving it a Flat appearence !

ERIK

Erik , ....... I agree with you but ........ early in the war I could see the Germans adhering to strict regs. on removing tools before painting vehicles , if that was even a reg.
I just think your statement [ The German's were meticulous & they removed Their tools when Painting, Be it at the Factory or in the Field. ] is a bit of a generalization , and a tad misleading . After late 42 early 43 I think the Germans were a little too busy fighting , retreating and counter attacking to bother with removing tools before painting in the factory or the field .
I guess it would depend on the unit commander etc. on how to field paint camo .
Not that pics. exist of vehicles with tools unpainted but ............
I'm not trying to argue with you here , but as modelers and armchair historians we have to be careful in our statements as to what was and was not , especially when we were not there .

Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-721-0397-192C_Frankreich2C_Jagdspanther_erhC3A4lt_neue_Farbe.jpg

cam.jpg

Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-721-0398-21A2C_Frankreich2C_Panzer_VI_28Tiger_II2C_KC3B6nigstiger29.jpg

Even though this is a black and white photo , ........ those sovels look the same tones as the halftrack .
guderianstukas.jpg

CamoScheme10e.jpg

CamoScheme10g.jpg

Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-090-3918-04A2C_Russland2C_Eisenbahntransport_Panzer_V_28Panther29.jpg

vehicle_panzervi53.jpg

CamoScheme10d.jpg

Well Mike the good news is I have thousands upon thousands of ref pics. , ......... the bad news it's not categorized :laugh: , a lot of this stuff I've been saving since the dawn of the internet :laugh:

Sounds silly , ........ but I've got stuff I don't know I have ............ :blink

Back