• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Here be dragons for Challenge Campaign

SA Dave

Unknown Vinal dragon with HUGE BLOODY WINGSPAN

I got this kit for free and I understand Vinal figures are dificult as hell to do.

Please people anyone that can help and give advice it willl be apreciated

hbc6aa5d.JPG

PS what is worse I dont have any plans for this kit or know even if all the parts are there Yikes

Having roughly cut out the Vinyl pieces its obvious that at least 2 - 3 pieces is missing from the kit.

But worry not for dragon it shall be I present Draco from Dragonheart

h285f2b7.JPG

at least this one has all the parts AND Instructions

Start with the usual cleaning to get rid of any mold release.

Vinyl kits can demand a blood sacrifice when trimming and fitting for the unwary. Softening the vinyl in hot water (remember you are putting your hands in it) or with a hair dryer (some vinyl reacts to hot air and gets brittle) makes it easier to trim, reheating when the vinyl starts to cool and cutting gets harder. Vinyl has a memory so do not let a part cool while bent or it will stay there. Test fit while trimming to make sure there is no deformation.

Parts can be adjusted with heat to alter a pose. Heat the part, carefully bend it into position and run it under cold water to set the position.

Heat can also make your masterpiece sag as it sits on your shelf. Don't display it near a heat source or in a sunlit window. Filling hollow parts with plaster or packing with newspaper can help prevent this.

CA and/or Epoxy glues are the usual adhesives of choice. Heating one part can help reduce gaps as the unheated part can be pressed into the softened part for a tighter fit.

Small seams can be filled with model putties, larger may require epoxy putties.

Most primers will work on vinyl except enamel, it reacts with many types of vinyl and will remain tacky. Some say only use an acrylic based primer. Mr. Surfacer, Tamiya Primer or automotive primer can all work. Test your favourite on some of the flash you have removed from the kit.

With the primer on, the regular arsenal of paints can be used to finish the kit.

Cheers,
Rich

Thanks Rich I can see this ones Vinal will need some softening its almost as hard as Styrene :woohoo:

I have used valejo primer with great success on vinyl. The other suggestion is to scrub the parts with comet bathroom cleaner and a soft bristle tooth brush. This will soften the vinyl a bit and allow paint to adhere better. Also use a two part epopxy to attach the parts.

So I am off to invest in some 2 part epoxy and soft toothbrush also it seems. makes sense to do it that way. I have some Valejo primer. :drinks

Back