• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Help on pre - painting methods

I agree I thoroughly enjoy your videos mate,... bit stonking presentations or not,... it expalins it all very clearly

thank you for putting time in to do it !! (y) (y) (y)

Ken that was great, nothing beats a vid explanation giving a solid base to work from, and I too thank you for taking the time to do this.

Where you did the post shade 7.20-28 just lightly sprayed was a good effect too, there it gave a subtle shade which didn't jump into your face, this also gives a view on how heavy to go , taking into account that weathering/washes/flat coats etc. will also tone the shading down as you state further on.

Just to throw in another variable which has me thinking, and I guess If I don't ask I'll never know!! :) would the tip size of the airbrush play any part in doing these effects. EG .21 .33 or .35

Cheers guys.

Phil, the tip size would play a factor for sure. Also, had I taken the time to properly thin the paint and use a little more caution I could have done a much neater job. I was doing all that (going back and forth from black to yellow and back agaion) right in the color cup, on the fly... no mixing/thinning etc. so I wasn't really giving myself the optimum conditions for a good paint job.

I was just trying to highlight the basics of the techniques in question, this wasn't meant to be the end all be all lesson covering every aspect and possibility, I could spend a couple hours trying to get all that on film. ;)

Even doing it this way, I still had a difficult time keeping it under 16 minutes. That was actually the second video I made, the first one was a bit longer.

It certainly helped me understand what I was doing wrong.

Ken you're doing a great service with these videos, nothing like sitting down at the bench with someone and sharing techniques, seeing how they do things and comparing notes.

Thanks buddy! You're the Man!

For me it's simply that I prime in flat black and apply my OD leaving those areas to bleed through, causing a pre shade effect. Each successive lighter shade of OD afterward, follows suit and creeps inside the panels a bit more. I don't think what I'm doing to the panels could be called post shading, because they are highlights, not shadows. If you can post shade (darker color) than by all means do what works for you.

I think technically what you're doing is a highlight. It's the same thing I do when post shading and then coming back with lighter shades to clean up and feather (hat tip to Dr. John).

For me it's simply that I prime in flat black and apply my OD leaving those areas to bleed through, causing a pre shade effect. Each successive lighter shade of OD afterward, follows suit and creeps inside the panels a bit more. I don't think what I'm doing to the panels could be called post shading, because they are highlights, not shadows. If you can post shade (darker color) than by all means do what works for you.

I think technically what you're doing is a highlight.

Exactly. That's what I was trying to say.

I have seen others call that a 'post shade' but in art we were taught that 'shading' is the method of implying light by adding shadow. You don't add the light, you leave the brightest part of the object clean and add darker shadows in other areas to accomplish this effect. So when we do add a lighter color and call it shading, it doesn't coincide with what I was taught.

I am highlighting the panel centers, not shading them but anyways, I'm not trying to nit pick and argue semantics, it's just one point where I feel that others may get confused when the terms are used to describe two slightly different things.

Ken that was just fine, even a bit rushed for time and not quite right paint mixes etc it certainly helps to see the actual method rather than just reading words, to echo MP - you're doing a great service with these videos, nothing like sitting down at the bench with someone and sharing techniques,- you just can't beat that.

Next spray session I have, the leftover paint in the airbrush will be going onto my beater model to try this out. :drinks

Back