• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Hasegawa 1/72 B-47

jeaton01

I've been slowly working on this one since December, it's definitely not a candidate for MMM.

The B-47 has always been one of those airplanes that has always been one of my favorites, both elegant in appearance and one of the major milestones in the history of aircraft design. Over 1500 were built, and besides politics it is what made the Air Force give up on the YB-49, since it had the same range and was 100 mph faster. I am using the Pavla resin cockpit and engine sets, which also provide a vacuform canopy. The kit canopy has major coke bottle disease. The decals are crocodiled from the years the kit has been in my stash, so aftermarket decals are also being used.

I have done some prep work on it, cutting the flaps free from the wings so they can be displayed extended as B-47's often had them on the ground. The landing gear bays have been installed in one fuselage half, and the bomb bay doors are also installed in the closed position to get the best fit possible and because there is no detail in it.. The main cockpit resin part has been cut to fit, which was mostly done with my band saw and the engine fronts and exhausts are stuck to the nacelles, but there will be some work getting them faired in well, the sizes are close but not quite the right match to the plastic.
I am using a 3d printed flap set which has been rather interesting. A lot of cutting was necessary for the wings as the 3d set replaces the flaps. The lower wing skins get the flap areas cut out which was a little interesting because Hasegawa missed the outline in some spots, and also the trailing edge of the upper wing gets some trimming because the flaps make up some of the upper trailing edge. As you can see all the ribs and stringers in the exposed part of the wing are also supplied, and were very fragile, making clean-up interesting, as well as fitting.

The Pavla engine parts were not much of an improvement over the Hasegawa parts, I won't use those if I build another B-47 as the Hasegawa parts are pretty good. The cockpit is a big improvement, however getting it fit correctly was difficult. Not a lot will be seen through the small cockpit opening, but enough to be worth it, especially if you want to have the crew door open as Hasegawa just left a big open space there.

0012b47.jpg

0022b47.jpg

0032b47.jpg

0042b47.jpg

0052b47.jpg

0062b47.jpg

0072b47.jpg

0082b47.jpg

0092b47.jpg

SAC is always ready...or it was.

I take it you're not doing any raised panel line removals are ya John?

Nice. I actually just dug this one out as a candidate for a Classic Japanese Kit build. Haven't started yet, was hoping to get at least one cleared off before I kick off another project. :lol:

Here's the current state of the B-47. I've been working on a bunch of other stuff while doing this one because lots of patience is needed on it. Lots of intersections that need careful attention. Not much of the work seems picture worthy, but I seem to have reached a milestone with it today, it's now ready for some aluminum type paint. The anti-flash white areas and the engine exhausts have been painted and masked, and the vacuform canopy has been fitted, attached, and masked. The canopy framing and sealant will be done with decals.

0102b47.jpg

0112b47.jpg

0122b47.jpg

How did those get past LeMay!

It will be the second one from the top on the decals posted at the top of the thread, Saul. Sorry!

Nice, looking good already. Aplane you seldom see these days. and yes, I'll have to get a 3D printer ...

I'm starting to feel like I might actually finish this one someday. I put the first coat of Alclad ALC101 on today, my usual very thin and dry coat. I rubbed in aluminum powder on the bottom surfaces, and then sprayed another very thin coat just to "fix" the powder, then turned it over and put the first coat on the upper surfaces. There are some places that need attention on the top before I go further, but not as much as I thought I would find. There is no undercoat except where there was white overspray from the anti-flash white on the bottom., the ALC 101 is on the bare plastic, which will work for me on the very nice and hard Hasegawa silver plastic.

0132b47.jpg

Bob, you won't get me to do one of these in the SEA scheme, that will be up to you. I sometimes wonder why they weren't used in Korea, maybe none of the AF units were up to speed on it yet, Or else they were all lined up for the nuke missions. Perhaps a B-29 scheme with a gloss black belly. The next bomber I want to do is a B-52D in the early scheme. But not right away. That should use up some Alclad!

I peeled off a bunch of masking this morning, sure comes off faster than it goes on. I used cutouts of the old Hasegawa decal sheet for patterns for the wing walks. The aft upper wings and the elevators were painted using Alclad polished aluminum over a base of Model Master insignia blue. SNJ powder was rubbed in on those areas after one coat of Alclad, then another light coat of Alclad was sprayed on to seal the powder.

0142b47.jpg

0152b47.jpg

Back