• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Hasagawa Me 163 in 1/32

Old Dog

OK, I still want that Messerschmitt ribbon from earlier this year. Since I didn't really get started on the 109 I was going to do I decided to switch to this 163 instead.

163-32box.jpg

It's the older Hasagawa kit rather than the newer Meng kit. It was already in the stash and is a pretty good kit in spite of its age. I'm going with a CMK resin interior as the only complication. I'm sure there will be fit issues but that's pretty normal. Because of it's age it does feature raised detail but back when I started modeling most everything did and it doesn't bother me nor do I feel inclined to replace it. Any way, here are the obligatory time stamps...

163-32-datestamp1.jpg

163-32-datestamp2.jpg

And a look at the constituent parts...

163-32-01.jpg

163-32-02.jpg

163-32-clear.jpg

163-32-decals.jpg

And the after market...

163-32-am1.jpg

163-32-am2.jpg

163-32-am3.jpg

Looks like fun, here's hoping !

Time to get cracking on this one. As usual it starts with the pit. The Hasegawa kit was a little light on detail so I went with the CMK resin pit. The first three photos show the finished pit before insertion into the fuselage. All part are from the resin set except the oxygen hose which I fabricated from thin solder and copper wire.

163-32-b01.jpg

163-32-b02.jpg

163-32-b03.jpg

I found when test fitting that the side panels interfered with the instrument panel so I cut them back to clear. Nothing lost as you would not see what was ahead of the IP anyway. Next three photos show it assembled in the fuselage...

163-32-b04.jpg

163-32-b05.jpg

163-32-b06.jpg

Not much room in there but with the big canopy it most will be visible.

The balance of the assembly should go quick. The hard part will be choosing a paint scheme, looking at photos and profiles one gets the impression that no two were quite the same.

More to come, thanks for looking !

Thanks guys, Bob there are more levers and do-dads that could go in there but it would be a little like building a ship in a bottle. I figured for everything new item I added I'd break off two others so I quit while I was ahead.

Back