• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Gundam "Ver.Ka" Mobile Suit RX-93

Greg Kimsey

I think this is the right category for this. I have never built a Gundam model, and actually saw my first built model yesterday when a young man brought it into the store to show me. It looked cool, so I thought I'd give it a go. Having never built one I have littke idea of workflow. Do I paint (because that is what I most excited to do) as I go like a normal model? I want to make this look like an apocalyptic battle robot that has been in a few scraps and survived. Thanks in advance for any tips! I will wait to see them before starting...
Now for the photo dump:
1000009784.jpg
1000009786.jpg
1000009787.jpg
1000009788.jpg
1000009789.jpg
1000009790.jpg

1000009791.jpg
1000009792.jpg
1000009793.jpg
1000009794.jpg
1000009795.jpg
1000009796.jpg
1000009797.jpg
1000009798.jpg
1000009799.jpg
1000009800.jpg
1000009801.jpg
1000009802.jpg
1000009803.jpg
1000009804.jpg
1000009805.jpg
1000009806.jpg
1000009807.jpg
1000009808.jpg
1000009809.jpg
1000009810.jpg
1000009811.jpg

I made the mistake of typing Gundam (looking for specific tools) into AliExpress and was amazed at the breadth, scope, and depth of aftermarket for these kits. Not my thing so I can't help you but I can mention they have replacement lenses, barrels, specialized tools for created grooves (panels) and recessed circles to take lenses and such. Simply Wow and I will be following.

I made the mistake of typing Gundam (looking for specific tools) into AliExpress and was amazed at the breadth, scope, and depth of aftermarket for these kits. Not my thing so I can't help you but I can mention they have replacement lenses, barrels, specialized tools for created grooves (panels) and recessed circles to take lenses and such. Simply Wow and I will be following.
Thank you Saul. I started my plan of attack by sort of looking through the parts,(not really expecting anyone to be able to offer workflow advice LOL) which are all cast in color so they don’t need painting. However, the ones I saw yesterday were not painted and looked very plastic. It may not be kosher to true Gundam afficionados but I am going to metallize all of my parts (although still not sure what I want to do with the white parts). They don’t need glue and snap together, so I think I want to paint on sprue since I don’t have to worry about glue joints. My concern is keeping up with which sprue gets which color. My plan is to do each color start to finish, prime, wait, paint, then do the next set. Hopefully I will avoid confusion!

Have a friend here that likes to build these. I don't think he paints them or if he does it isn't much. With them being complex and snap together you might want to be careful with the paint thickness and where it goes. Seems to me that these have some fairly tight tolerances and paint thickness could give you problems. Might try and paint some parts in a single or couple of assemblies first and then see how the parts fit together.

Enjoy the build! :popcorn

In Tulsa the last time I was back there for a few days I went by this one Hobby Town and they and a whole corner of the store with 2 isles dedicated and decorated up for these. It was kind of fascinating. I think the draw for these kits is first the anime and then you can fairly quickly build one and then have fun with it. If it works to bring in new modelers that is a win win.

Have a friend here that likes to build these. I don't think he paints them or if he does it isn't much. With them being complex and snap together you might want to be careful with the paint thickness and where it goes. Seems to me that these have some fairly tight tolerances and paint thickness could give you problems. Might try and paint some parts in a single or couple of assemblies first and then see how the parts fit together.

Enjoy the build! :popcorn

In Tulsa the last time I was back there for a few days I went by this one Hobby Town and they and a whole corner of the store with 2 isles dedicated and decorated up for these. It was kind of fascinating. I think the draw for these kits is first the anime and then you can fairly quickly build one and then have fun with it. If it works to bring in new modelers that is a win win.
Yeah, the kid who brought one to show me said the little ones take about an hour to build. He built a similar kit to this one in 4 hours. It's crazy.
That's a good point on the tolerance. These things do have a tight fit so that they can be played with like a toy and posed in many different ways

You ain't kiddin' about the tolerance. There is none! Parts fit extremely tight; like, I am afraid I am going to break them I have to push so hard. I had to ease the tolerance on one with my flexifile just to get it in. No way pai ted surface will go.
New Plan: Assemble, then mask and paint. I won't be able to stand the plastic look. I am wanting to do so e chipping. I have only done it once, on a tank. Do I put a metallic (ie: stainless steel) finish on, then chipping medium, then surface color?

The paint on that little guy is really nice Greg. There are 2 ways to do chipping, do an undercoat then chip it or do the color then use some other colors to do the chips and scrapes. You need to use a thin paint to do the latter as if the chip color is too thick it shows.

Maybe you can see the difference. The grea part is dry brushed overall with Vallejo silver 77724, then edge highlight with Val white 70951, then pin wash with thinned Humbrol #21 gloss black. The white area is Humbrol gloss white #22. I am not really happy with the white as I painted it with a brush and it shows. I may remove it,mask and spray
IMG_0207.jpeg

My solution for the white is to paint on the sprue, avoiding obvious tabs. First I sprayed random pattern Vallejo chrome and burnt metal. I painted the yellow with a black base to prepare for the gold
IMG_0221.jpeg

Next, not pictured because you can’t see it, I randomly applied Vallejo chipping medium with a rough brush.
Then I sprayed white Tamiya X2 until I ran out.
IMG_0219.jpeg

The yellow got a spritz of Vallejo chrome
IMG_0220.jpeg

Then the yellow got a coat of Alclad II Pale Gold, trying to leave some of the silver in places
IMG_0215.jpeg

For the white I used Humbrol gloss white thinned 50/50 with AK odorless enamel thinner. I love spraying with enamel. It is so smooth and easy! I tried to hit the centers as much as possible.
IMG_0217.jpeg

Finally for the yellow I sprayed a coat of Tamiya X24 Clear Yellow over all of the pieces. It is all drying until tomorrow. I will wait to chip until final assembly.
IMG_0216.jpeg

It is basically a little puzzle that has moving parts. I think I have the pieces painted in a way that they will go together nicely. I know my grandson is going to play with this so I have been supergluing pins that are not moving but holding. Moving parts get pushed in only.

The blue parts I did a 3 part paint scheme. First I used Testors Pearl Blue. It was still good after 10 years in storage. I added Testors silver Chrome to the pearl to lighten it and hit the panel centers. Then I used a thinned Humbrol Baltic Blue metallic as basically an airbrush wash.
1000009839.jpg
1000009840.jpg

The dark gray sprues were drybrushed wirh Vallejo Metal Color Steel 77712. I then hightlighted the centers with Val Metal Color Chrome 77707 then drybrushed the edges sparingly with Val Model Color White 70951.
1000009841.jpg

The light gray sprues got a drybrush of Val Chrome, then edged in white.
1000009842.jpg

I haven't done anything to the clear parts. I may dip them in AK Gauzy.
Here is where I am so far in the puzzle:
1000009837.jpg
1000009838.jpg

For those yellow "lights" I brushed Val Chrome, then 2 layers of Tamiya Clear Yellow X24. I think I am going to fill them with resin.

I did fill with UV Resin and it looks good.
1000009848.jpg

The front opens so you CAN see the little driver somewhat:
1000009849.jpg

I decided to "candy" the red sprue. First I coated with Alclad II Bright Silver Candy Base.
1000009844.jpg

I waited a while then sprayed with Al II Candy Red enamel. It looks a little fuchsia color. I will antique it a little to make it less so:
1000009846.jpg

Back