• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Gotha GO 242/244

Thanks Randy , Sherman , Dave , Phil and Mike for the encouraging words.

Having a tough time getting to work on this thing and wen I do it seem to be one step forward and two steps back.

I removed the glue from all the doors and opened it up .

I made some door handles and installed them .

GO_continued_003a.jpg

Next was some entry ladders. The kit ones were too short and only have one rung. It took about three tries of making some in brass before I decided for mix media instead.

The arm for the rear pod were glued into place but my interior paneling required trimming for it to fit into place :blush: Should have looked earlier on.

GO_continued_005a.jpg

Finally , I just hand repainted the clear glass and did some touch up painting.

GO_continued_006a.jpg

Tomorrow, I'll swap out axles and make an antenna since the kit one is about a third as tall as if needs be.

Cheers, Christian B)

Thank you for looking in Ron, Bob, James , Dave and Mike . Your words are very encouraging .

I did make a bit of progress today but it's to late to post. Hopefully I have some time tomorrow to make more progress and post pictures.

Cheers , Christian B)

Wow, that is looking great Chris! I like that your opening it up a bit. The little door handles and steps/ladders are going to add to it!

Thanks Mike . Always great to hear from you :)

I thought I would post some pictures tonight but things are still drying so more patience is needed :facepalm

I do have a couple of good tips for those of you that follow my builds :D

#1 , Iron Mike brought me one of these from one of his adventures .

GO_paint6_008a.jpg

If you guys use sand boards and curse them as they deteriorate so quickly . This is the answer . Four different grits that do not deteriorate as you wet sand . $ 2:00 well spent. :D

#2 If any of you have ever tried to hand brush Tamyia or Gunze Acrylics, you know it's almost impossible :facepalm

Well, I bought this thinner to spray Mr surfacer ( which I have not done yet ) but if you dip your brush in it, those paints will go on like Humbrol Enamels :D

GO_paint6_007a.jpg

Just saying . I'm very pleased with both these products. Hope it's the answer to your problems.

Cheers, Christian B)

#2 If any of you have ever tried to hand brush Tamyia or Gunze Acrylics, you know it's almost impossible

Tamiya acrylic thinner fixes that impossibility Christian!

If that Mr Color bottle smells as bad as Mr Color thinner 110 you will need a full respirator mask!

That 110 stuff is bad, very bad :sick:

Top work on the Gotha!! (y)

Phil, I promise you this item will work better than anything else I have tried . Don't go :mpup on me .

I have tried X-10-a, the Tam lacquer thinner ,The MR color 110 and now the leveling thinner.

Regards, Christian B)

Thanks Chris, will have to try and find some of that leveling thinner. As for the sanding sticks, I go to Wallmart and visit the girls primping section and buy the nail buffing sticks by the handful. Look like the same thing but even cheaper. And they last a long time.
............Or raid the wifes stash, but that could be problematic.
James

I guess one could take this in many different ways so I'm not to going there.

I think we might need an emoticon for I think it's gonna smell bad so I won't open the bottle :rotf :rotf :rotf .

I would not use any of the products on the market as after shave. :stinker

This does smell, but not as bad as some . Besides I said paint brush and that is not nearly airbrushing. :java

As for the sanding sticks, I go to Wallmart and visit the girls primping section and buy the nail buffing sticks by the handful. Look like the same thing but even cheaper. And they last a long time.
James

You've heard the expression "It's just as good as a Xerox", then why don't I want a Xerox? These sticks are nearly indestructible and are head and shoulders better than the cheapies from the beauty parlor. The grits on the CRM fracture as you use them, revealing a fresh cutting surface. I bought my first ones two and a half years ago and I'm still using them. I liked them so well, I brought back some for Chris and Bob to try. All I can tell you is they are the best around and I've tried the cheap ones.

Go all :mpup , :rotf :rotf :rotf Yep.

I believe you're right on that one Phill .

I have to admit that they all smell bad to me. An exhaust fan and a respirator are my defenses :soldier

Even the Humbrol thinner is awful. I don't remember it being as bad 20 years ago :sick:

As for the sanding sticks, I go to Wallmart and visit the girls primping section and buy the nail buffing sticks by the handful. Look like the same thing but even cheaper. And they last a long time.
James

You've heard the expression "It's just as good as a Xerox", then why don't I want a Xerox? These sticks are nearly indestructible and are head and shoulders better than the cheapies from the beauty parlor. The grits on the CRM fracture as you use them, revealing a fresh cutting surface. I bought my first ones two and a half years ago and I'm still using them. I liked them so well, I brought back some for Chris and Bob to try. All I can tell you is they are the best around and I've tried the cheap ones.

Go all :mpup , :rotf :rotf :rotf Yep.

Maybe I should have posted a picture :rotf :rotf :rotf

GO_paint6_008a.jpg

I talked with the owner of the shop before I ordered more ....He said that an engineer had come up with a backing that did not give up the teeth but in fact they broke and you still had a usable grit surface.

I will not make any proceeds from this if you try one out :rotf

Back