• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

good seal coat or clear coat

Dragunov

What's the best sealer for a finished AFV model? And what is the effect on dust effects or metal shine effects ??

Cheers Erik

Future, not sure what name it would be in Europe, not even sure if it's available there.

Lately, when I actually finish a model, I've used either Acrylic Model Master Clear or Alclad Aqua Clear.

Erik,

I never use them as a flat clear product will also flatten metallic effects. It will also effect other processes as well.

Bob

Thanks BOB and bob,

Bob Jr., do you use it on afv's to? and what's the effect on metalic and dust etc, because my worries are just what Dad says :)

Erik

I have used it on AFV but not enough to answer intelligently. Think we'll be finding out on the Honey though.

I have seen clear coats dull out MNF on aircraft, but the Alclad is not so bad.

mig323.jpg

Here's what the Alclad flat clear does. '

Here's the Mustang with a clear coat

P51D134.jpg

Thanks Bob for taking the time to post these pics (y) (Love the MIG)

The metal looks very nice! I guess I'll have to experiment with the stuff and see what it does on an old model. Thanks again!

Erik

Future, not sure what name it would be in Europe, not even sure if it's available there.

FUTURE in not sold in the Netherlands,Erik.
Send me a PM if you are looking for an alternative.

Greetings,Ron.

What's the alternative?

Hey Ron PM sent (y)

Hey Bob,If Ron agrees and he's got the answer for an alternative, we might let you in to the secret :D

Cheers Erik

No big secret. :D http://nl.hg.eu/products/show/id/68/laminaat_beschermfilm_met_glans__laminaat_glans____product_70_
It's just that the alternative stuff probably is not being sold in the U.S;

Didn't try it yet,still got a bit of future, provided by a friend from a friend who got the future in the U.S.

Greetings,Ron.

I would say that you should use a good sealer for any natural metal finishes, and use a clear coat for any painted (Military style) models.

Dave

Thanks guys for the help,

Great tips, just have to experiment a little bit, to find out what works best for me I guess.

Thanks again,

Erik

I would say that you should use a good sealer for any natural metal finishes,

Could you give some product names? I have a P-47 that I want a good sealer or gloss coat ( and a mix ratio if airbrushed) that won't destroy the metal finish and protect the decals.

Same in Oz - Future not made here any more

Back