• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Sharkmouth

German Tank Destroyers,

Sharkmouth

Information Overload
Staff member
sharkmouth submitted a new resource:

German Tank Destroyers, - Photo Album by Pierre Tiquet

View attachment 139329

After the 3rd SS Panzer Regiment book by this author, I had high hopes. I did note that, in the previous book, vehicle identification was not his strong suit. Well, this photo album definitely proves it and I was disappointed in much of the historical background text.

View attachment 139328
The table of contents gave me a warning when the use of Dicker Max, Sturer Emil, and Hetzer were used. While he acknowledges the Hornisse/Nashorn...

Read more about this resource...

Thanks Saul. I'm thinking that some names have become too entrenched in our ling unfortunately. Good to see the review, wil have to think twice about this book.
James

I feel quite strongly about this.
the other day on TV we had a documentary on the Battle of Brittan that included well used camera gun film of a late model FW190 pilot exiting his stricken machine. spitfires that were in fact P40's and so on. Much like the Lancaster documentary we had with occasional B17 formations interspersed .This is fine, its entertainment, it creates the atmosphere and most people wouldn't notice.,

Most of us will only ever buy one of these type of books on a subject and that will be our point of reference and its reasonable to expect a reference book to be accurate. Sometimes no information is better than the wrong information.
I move mostly in the motorcycle world and there are dozens of these books out there written by "authorities" working well outside their knowledge base.

I feel quite strongly about this.
Agreed. Pierre Tiquot's books on unit histories is one thing but this book is to be a reference for the German Tank Destroyers. While their use is covered well, and the veteran interviews appreciated, the focus of this title (Illustrated) are the photographs. At £35 ($39.95 USD), it is not the most affordable. For the casual reader or modeler wanting to depict a particular vehicle, it is not worth it since the photographs are too small to glean details and the identification mistakes a problem.

Regards,

Last edited:
Back