• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

German Pz.Kpfm KV-2 754 (r)

Thank you, fellas! I've been banging away at this beastie all week, but haven't had it far enough together to post much of an update. I had a bout with the soldering iron, still not sure if it was worth all the trouble! I'll save those pix for the next update. :pinch: Anyways, here's what we have so far..

IMG_4792.JPG

The link and length tracks work really well, painted the lower hull with Russian Green Vallejo Surface primer before I started the wheels and gear.

IMG_4793.JPG

The tracks are painted with Model Master Metalizer Exhaust, a nice dark metallic grey, dry brushed with Silver Leaf Rub 'N Buff. The road wheels were painted with flat black El Cheapo rattle can paint and the contact surfaces colored with a Koh_I-Noor Black Star graphite pencil. Really looks like polished metal to my eye.

IMG_4794.JPG

IMG_4795.JPG

IMG_4796.JPG

I set the turret on to see what we're looking like. Thanks to Mr T for talking me through my rivet issues!

IMG_4797.JPG

IMG_4798.JPG

The grab handles are copper electric wire, bent with my Etch Mate and Pliers.

Ready for tracks!!

IMG_4799.JPG

IMG_4800.JPG

IMG_4802.JPG

IMG_4801.JPG

Getting ready to start the fenders in a little bit, I'll mask the tracks and wheels with paper. Until next time, thanks for looking in! (y)

Here's a few more pictures from this afternoon's session.

IMG_4809.JPG

Had to coax them a little.

IMG_4810.JPG

IMG_4813.JPG

The kit machine guns are awful and apparently, there aren't any AM pieces available, so I made my own!

IMG_4815.JPG

I used Griffon Model 0.8 mm brass pipe (thanks Bob!!), cut two pieces to length, used thin CA to hold them together, then wrapped a thin strip of lead foil around both.

IMG_4816.JPG

IMG_4817.JPG

The wiring for the Notek light and siren are .015 silver solder.

IMG_4818.JPG

It's beginning to look like a mailbox on tracks.

IMG_4819.JPG

IMG_4820.JPG

This is not the view you want to have!

IMG_4821.JPG

I was reading an article about the captured vehicles being used mostly behind the lines, due to the possibility of being taken out by friendly fire! Needless to say, serving on a captured vehicle was not popular with the crews! :laugh:

Hi Mike. Looks like you went with plan A . Looks quite respectable.

If this looks like the postal system, I understand why you have so much trouble with your mail.

Cheers, Christian B)

I like it...I like it very much! (y)
The brass pipes for the MG's DO make the difference!

Greetings,Ron.

After a brief respite from this build, I'm back on it. The replacement Notek came from MIG USA, it is very nicely done!

IMG_4842.JPG

I shot the base paint using Vallejo Russian Green surface primer, figuring some of the base paint might be used after the capture.

IMG_4841.JPG

The kit ammo rack found its way onto the rear deck, I spent about 3 hours soldering up the Voyager piece, only to find I had it racked and not usable. If this was going to be a more "veteran" build, I would have called it battle damage! :laugh:

IMG_4843.JPG

I painted some Jerry cans for the rack on the other side, used Red Oxide primer, Rave hairspray and very thin Tamiya Dark Yellow to get some used looking pieces.

IMG_4850.JPG

IMG_4851.JPG

I'm not sure of the source for the oil can, something from the spares bin. I am just about ready to start the camo, waiting for all this to dry so I can put the turret on. Beginning to come together. B)

I think we just figured out why! :laugh: You have to use water to dissolve the hairspray! But I still like what you ended up with! (y)

With this nice coat of Russian green on it,it's almost a shame to camo it. ;)

Are you going to do the camo with the hairspray technique,like the jerrycans?

Soldier on,Mike! :soldier

Greetings,Ron.

I have been intending that this is a recent capture and refit, so not that much damage to be inflicted on this build. I'm going with a three tone camo scheme, just need to get started.

Back