• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

For something a little bit different

White_Wolf

Master at Arms
I have been flirting with this idea for a while now, it's a small dio with a twist.

I have just recently completed the Ju87 G-1, also put together in yet another speed build (sort of) a little T34 tank, 1/72. Photo shows both models, the tank is yet to be painted.

I thought that it would be only fitting for this little project to display Rudel's Knight Cross of the Iron Cross with Golden Oak leaves, swords and diamonds, but a half size replica would set me back few hundred $$$ which I cannot afford. In a moment of madness I have decided to do my own version of the above mentioned medal. Here it comes ...

The plane and the tank

h31a9bac.JPG

The original version

hfeecd48.jpg

Then the process of making my own - Super Sculpey, Air Drying Clay, and some small crystals taken from an iphone cover that came with way too much bling. Couldn't find anything else and I have been looking for a week now :frantic

h67fccdd.JPG

h1dd6304.JPG

h45c9377.JPG

hea9702a.JPG

h833b9ab.JPG

The dio / vignette itself is far from being done but I'll post progress pics as soon as possible.

Laurence

That looks great Lawrence. I got a VC for a diorama I will be working on from ebay. There are a lot of recreations out there. Never even dawned on me to try and make one. Nice (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y)
James

Thank you so much everyone, your compliments really humble me. :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

I actually wanted to use Swarowski crystals on it but they wouldn't sell the little crystals individually at the outlets. Looking at that thing again I can definitely spot mistakes / things to improve for the next project, should this one turn out to be something decent. Off to work we go, time is short. Sydney Scale Model Show is this Saturday, Canberra ScaleACT 2014 is in 2 weeks time soooooooooooo close.

On top of that, Wolfette wants me to do her some bling :rotf

Laurence

Replacing the big stones on the clasp with more appropriate ones - old ones are 2 mm, new ones are 1 mm - much better but such a pain to get it right :vmad :vmad :vmad

The little T 34 is almost done

ha7a1aa5.JPG

Heaps more to do on this one :bang head

Laurence

Thanks Bob, yes we did. Had two actually - Adelaide a couple of weeks ago and Sydney Scale Model Show on Saturday.

Adelaide - one 1st, two 2nd, two 3rd, AFV Entrant's Choice, Best AFV on show.

Sydney - 4 High Commendations and a 3rd place ....or something like that.

Laurence

It's interesting that I saw this today, as I received a catalogue last night from some aircraft collectors store and it had a replica of that medal in it. Didn't seem like it was too expensive, but I would have to look again.

Good job on you r own fabrication of the medal Laurence! (y)

Thanks Bob & Paul - I think I got some pics I could upload soon :D

The Ritterkreuz is in the middle of a transformation now - replacing the big (2 mm) stones with small ones (1 mm). More accurate, also looking better, more sparkle - they are lab made diamonds rather than the older acrylic things.

Also working on a Luftwaffe badge in Gold with Diamonds that Rudel also had. The original pieces had nearly 220 diamonds of different sizes, mostly 1 - 1.5mm. Mine will eventually have nearly 180 ( I think).

Painful but I love da bling baby :D

Laurence

Painful thing this is as Yoda would say, but patience is a virtue I am working on :tomato

Base is done, photo frame with a mirror cutoff. Bought some of these things few years ago, now they come in handy :D

Working on the medals, inserting the diamonds (lab made russian diamonds, nothing fancy). Had a terrible time trying to find something that sparkles nicely, this is the best I could do.

Ritterkreuz had some 68 diamonds, the Luftwaffe badge had 168 - madness but they did look fantastic.

I managed to insert a bit over 50 diamonds between them two, got 150 or so to go. There are a very few 2mm sparkly bits (got them from inside a blingy phone cover :frantic ) - 12 of them in total, all the rest are 1 mm pieces.

I wanted to pinch some Swarovski crystals from Wolfette's jewelry case but she would not allow me to do that no matter how hard I tried :fencing . All I got was a "I support your modeling but you ain't touching MY bling", raised eyebrow, hands on hips. All married gents here know what I'm talking about :D

This is NOT the final layout, working on something that is a big gamble, but if it works out, I hope it will look ...umm... interesting.

The bird needs the canopy and the aerial and an illusion of a spinning prop. Sheesh !!!! :bang head

Sorry for the angle, will take more photos later on.

hff82679.JPG

Laurence

Back