• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Flt Lt Tony Cooper

RichB

Tony Cooper has passed away just short of his 101[sup]st[/sup] birthday. He was the oldest surviving Spitfire pilot. He accumulated 3200 total flying hours, flew 160 operational sorties and survived 5 force landings.

He flew two sorties over Normandy on D-Day. The first take-off was at 0430 hrs to provide Low Beach Cover over Utah Beach. His log book noted that the invasion stripes did not work that well. He was nearly shot down by a P-47 and a wingman was. A second Spitfire was hit by naval gunfire and blew up. His second sortie took off at 2200 hrs to provide Fighter Cover over Omaha Beach. The Luftwaffe sent bombers against the fleet that night but the anti-aircraft fire was so intense they couldn't engage the bombers. His squadron, 64 Sqdn, accumulated 1150 hrs in June, the majority in the 2 weeks following D-Day. He recorded 71 hrs, 25 of those at night.

The BBMF Spitfire Vb is currently finished as Tony's personal Spitfire Vb "Peter John I" BM327 SH-F that he flew until the end of June.

Rich

He was nearly shot down by a P-47 and a wingman was.

My late friend Roddy Ellis told me the story of him taking a shot at a Spitfire over Normandy. Gotta wonder...

Here's one of the stories he shared with me.

https://www.modelersalliance.com/forum/news-reviews-and-shows/109791-laughter-and-tears#109832

Sad to read about the lost of another one.

There is very few of the greatest generation left now Sad that we lost another one.

:drinks Flt Lt Tony Cooper

Off we go into the wild blue Yonder ... enjoy your flight ... You've earned it

:salute Flt Lt Tony Cooper :drinks

Back